Improving propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effinpansy

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a Turkey fryer set up that I have changed to use with a 15.5g keg. The burner frame has a ring that "retains" the stock pot but was too small in diameter to put the keg on. So I welded on three outriggers to support the keg, which raised the kettle up 2" or so. Also the keg has a raised bottom as they all do. My question is, would it be right to raise the burner up higher, and how close to the pot? I also use the stock turkey fryer pot as a HLT, so I wouldn't want to be too close for a flush bottom pot. Maybe an adjusable hieght rig? It currently takes 45-75 min. to acheive boil from sparge temp. Sucks.

A lot depends on the burner. I use a banjo burner -- the manufacturer recommends 4" between burner and pot bottom. Probably a decent rule of thumb, but others may know better.

It may just be that your burner is underpowered for 15g and you need to upsize.

Turkey burners run ~55K BTU, that isn't much for a keg. You might try wrapping the keg with a heat-resistant insulation.

I got a turkey fryer on craigslist, and had the same problem. I couldn't even maintain a boil without the lid at least 1/2 way on.

The ring on my fryer wouldn't support the keg either, so I got a grill grate that lays over top of the ring, and my keg sits on that, so same issue with burner height.

I did raise the burner height. Made a bracket out of angle iron, and mounted it above the original mount, but that didn't fix my problem either.

I purchased a 30psi regulator, and all I can say is WOW! This thing kicks! I had such a vigorous boil, I couldn't even get my march pump to prime. I didn't upgrade the hose or burner.

Here's the cheapest place I found it...

http://www.jambalaya-iron-pots.com/7850_propane_regulator.htm

Good CS and fast shipping.

Try using the 30psi reg, without adjusting burner height, I think I have to lower my burner now, since the fame is so much larger.

Good luck.
Jay

Back