pitching when package is still flat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perry

Reaction score
Well, after so much quick activity with the yeast I've been getting, I stupidly did the unthinkable... I started my mash and busted the little inner yeast pack at the same time... atfer two hours and the pack still flat I started stretching things out. Finally, after seven or eight hours, I said screw it and pitched the yeast anyway.

My thinking was that the cells are probably fine, just sluggish, and they'll start up eventually. Am I right?

(The irony here is that this morning I went down to the store and bought a back-up pack, and damned if it isn't swellin on its own! The little inner bag must've been busted before and the cold storage kept the yeast inactive.)

Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks, jp

This question comes up all the time. The instructions on the package say it all:

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS - READ BEFORE USING
This package will require l-3 days to incubate prior to using. Incubate package one day for every month beyond the mfg. date stamped on package (for example, up to 1 month = 1 day incubation). Normal shelf life is six months if refrigerated. Some yeast will survive for 12 months or more if stored properly. For best results use when fresh.
TO START INCUBATION
Lay package on a table. Locate the bulged seal area of the inner package. Place the palm of one hand between the bottom of the package and the bulged seal. Wlth your other hand, press firmly on the bulge to break the inner seal. You will know the seal is broken when the bulge is flattened. Mix the yeast and nutrients by kneading the package. Shake the package well. Allow to incubate at 70-80oF until the package swells to at least one inch thick.

It will of course work but you've pitched a less than ideal amount of yeast. The more you can pitch, the better. Do a search on yeast starters and try one next time.

...kind of related, has anyone ever had one of the smack packs burst or spring a leak? I'm just curious b/c my last batch after about 3 hours I swore that sucker was going to blow. The material I'm guessing is too strong to have that happen...but who knows...

Yes, I've had slow smack packs and there have been days when the pack got smacked on the way home from the store and pitched early. With one exception, they got the job done. That one had over-heated during shipping.

Stick your backup pack in the fridge, but you might start planning your next batch of ale.

alemonkey said:
Use White Labs and you won't have to worry about it :)

*ducks stuff thrown by Wyeast fans*

I am under the impression that with White Labs you need a starter....

alemonkey said:
Use White Labs and you won't have to worry about it :)

*ducks stuff thrown by Wyeast fans*
LOL. :mug:
Wyeast fan here. I've had much more success with Wyeast but I figure it's my system. There are plenty of home brewers who have great luck with Yeast Labs.

So far with my liquid experience I have not tried Wyeast. When I started the only yeast I had available was dry. Have you seen a difference between the two liquids? So far, as long as I make a starter I'm good to go. The last yeast I tried was dry and I pitched two packages, but it kicked up inside 2-3 hours! Was incredible. Before the lag time was like 24 hours or so. I have not tried pitching a White Labs without a starter yet, as I found you guys before starting up brewing again.

White labs says you don't need a starter up to I think 1.070. I've had really good luck with it without a starter. Wyeast is good too, I just don't like waiting for the pack to swell.

alemonkey said:
White labs says you don't need a starter up to I think 1.070. I've had really good luck with it without a starter. Wyeast is good too, I just don't like waiting for the pack to swell.

I just so happen to have vials sitting right in front of me... you are absolutly correct. It says up to 1.070. What is your lag time without a starter? Does not seem like a lot of yeast in one of these things :)

I much prefer Whitelabs over Wyeast. I don't use starters with WL and always get great results. One of the few times I used that smack pack I did the same thing you did and had no activity after 2 days so I pitched an old tube WL and had bubbles in about 4 hours.

Hope for the best, but you may want to keep that backup pack handy

Mikey said:
This question comes up all the time. The instructions on the package say it all:

Yeah, that's true, but I've never had a smack-pack take more than about 5 hours to swell to near-bursting. I'm sure that the first time I assume it will swell that quickly, it won't and I'd find myself in a pickle.

-walker

Beer Snob said:
I just so happen to have vials sitting right in front of me... you are absolutly correct. It says up to 1.070. What is your lag time without a starter? Does not seem like a lot of yeast in one of these things :)

I usually brew in the evening and it's going good the next morning, so maybe 6 hours? I'm not exactly sure. I've seen it start in as little as 3. The cell count is pretty high in those vials.

Ya!!! I now have bubblage! Only thirty-six hours after pitching! Everything smells normal, too. My system is pretty much sealed from the outside air from the boil to the fermenter, so I wasn't super worried about infection (famous last words).

However, I will never, ever start my mash again before signs of swelling!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

jp

Nice thing about smack packs, you can hit them days before brewing and know you have a good pack and if you get delayed, just tuck them in the fridge.

alemonkey said:

Well if you think about it you really don't need the vial at all. Just let nature take its course and it will ferment out on its own. If you want to make the best beer you are capeable of then you should make a starter of the right size for your batch and type of beer.
After all...........you want to make the best beer possible, don't you?:)

I personally don't think making a starter improves a beer at all - it just makes it start faster and reduces the chances of infection. If I'm making a big beer I always make a starter. If not, I usually don't.

Back