Sam Adams Triple Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skier!

Reaction score
About 8 to 10 years ago my brother bought a case of Sam Adams Triple Bock. He hated it and it has sat in our basement ever since. My understanding is that SA Triple Bock ages well.

I was going to try and sell it it's not really a taste I enjoy.

Any opinions?

8 years ago would out its profuction in 2000, or 1998 if you go back to years. I thought that stuff came out in 1994 or so?

Did they make it for several years or was it old when your brother bought it?

We had a bottle a couple years ago and it was past its prime according to some of the more refined pallates at the table.

I've never liked any of the SA big beers

I'll save you the trouble: Go to the fridge and grab the soy sauce bottle and some maple syrup. Tilt head back, pour contents of both bottles into mouth. Enjoy.

brewt00l said:
I'll save you the trouble: Go to the fridge and grab the soy sauce bottle and some maple syrup. Tilt head back, pour contents of both bottles into mouth. Enjoy.

Yeah, it is some *interesting* stuff. I'm glad I tried a bottle but wouldn't get it again.

According to Beer Advocate:

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/111/

My guess is that it is the 1997 which means it's been sitting in my basement for 11 years. Wow.

I've seen it for $10 a bottle which I would gladly take.

I was at a benefit a couple weeks ago and won a his and hers basket of beer and wine in the silent auction. One of the bottles was the 1994 version. From all the negative comments I have heard regarding this beer I am kind of afraid to even try it.

brewt00l said:

That has always been my impression.

TL

PearlJamNoCode said:
they sell singles of this stuff at the total wine in claymont, delaware for about $6.

still to expensive IMO.

they were clearing some out here a little while back for $3 or $4 a bottle.. figured what the heck and gave it shot. by far the worst "beer" i've ever tried. i tried about 2 shots worth and tried sipping it and it was just horrible so i passed it around to my buddies until the bottle was eventually gone.

brewt00l said:

BINGO. exactly what it tastes like

I have about 6 bottles left from 1994. They have been properly stored on their side and temperature controlled all these years.

With that said... the beer has a unique taste that makes my friends make faces. I try one every few years in the hope that I will "get it" but I never do.

By far the worst beer I've ever had. I actually took it back to the liquor store under the impression that it had spoiled. They gave me a replacement that tasted exactly the same. After I had the manager try it, they gave me a store credit & I bought something else.

I guess it would be good on some rice, though........

I remember buying 4 or 5 of these after I graduated from college. Having spent 5 years drinking Old Milwaukee and not really having turned the corner into good beer yet this stuff was horrible. I had to chug it to get it down.

I remember giving some to a buddy after we closed the bar and he promptly puked after a couple sips. Same thing happened to the next guy that tried it. For a couple years I kept a few bottle on hand and would bet anyone $10 when we would get back from the bar if they could drink a bottle of it without hurling. Not many people would take that bet after the first couple stories got out and I never lost that bet.

There are still two bottles of it somewhere around here. Maybe I should chug one for old times sake or start taking bets again.

Popped open the 1994 bottle this weekend at a friend's bachelor party and passed it around. It was pretty terrible, we all thought we were drinking soy sauce. I took more than just a couple sips because I wanted to see if I could "get it". All it left me with was an upset stomach, took me about an hour before I could start drinking beer again.

Are they still brewing this? It's still listed on Sam Adams' web site as one of their extreme beers. I was at the store today and saw about 12 bottles of this. I'd never seen it before so I bought a bottle. Paid $4. I have no idea what year it's from since there's no year on the bottle.

Update: Tasted the Sam Adams Triple Bock and boy was it nasty. Just as well have been soy sauce. Total crap. :(

I have about 6 bottles left from 1994. They have been properly stored on their side and temperature controlled all these years.

With that said... the beer has a unique taste that makes my friends make faces. I try one every few years in the hope that I will "get it" but I never do.

Are they corked? I don't remember if they are, but you never want to store capped beer on its side...

Sounds like a SA experiment gone wrong.....thats too bad cuz there hasn't been too many SA versions I haven't enjoyed.

Just pour it over some pork fried rice or maybe some beef low mein

Are they corked? I don't remember if they are, but you never want to store capped beer on its side...

No - they have been stored in my cellar on their side all this time. I put them away and forgot about them.

I have to concur with most folks on this board though... they do taste a lot like soy sauce. On the other hand - I have noticed that the flavor has mellowed over the years.

No - they have been stored in my cellar on their side all this time. I put them away and forgot about them.

I have to concur with most folks on this board though... they do taste a lot like soy sauce. On the other hand - I have noticed that the flavor has mellowed over the years.

Right, but you said "properly stored" and beer should not be stored on its side.

Yep, I had a bottle at a Boston bar with over 300 beer varieties (Something crazy like 100 taps) + bottles. It was NASTY! Could not finish the bottle.

My friend bought some of this back in college, which would have been 2001 or 2002. I don't really recall it being that vile, I think his description was "Chewing on a maple tree, from the inside, at midnight".

Makes you wonder what else you can sell with *just* marketing.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. Picked up a bottle of this yesterday. Just opened and poured a small glass. I can not finish this crap!! I can't imagine ANYONE even likes it. I'm pouring it back into the bottle and saving as a merinade for something. Rinsing my taste buds with Red Hook Late Harvest so I can enjoy some BridgePort IPA.

Sorry for your loss...it's definitely some vile ****. On a positive note, my dog wouldn't stop licking his ass. Rubbed some SA Tripple Bock on there and he's cured. Well, I don't really have a dog, but if I did...

I have no idea why (and nobody at BevMo could tell me) but this is currently being sold at the BevMo in Pasadena for about $4.50.

I already have a bottle of it that I don't have the heart, or maybe the stomach, to open, so I didn't buy any, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it on the shelf.

Had this in high school when it was fresh anf we all hated it. Saw a 1994 bottle (same year we drank) in the store so picked it up for nostalgia. I am still expecting a mouthful of soy sauce as i can still taste it as i am typing this almost 20 years later. I think we will still hate it but it will bring back tge good memories of being 16 and 17!

Back