buying bottles in toronto area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyellz

Reaction score
My first batch is in the fermentor, and I dont think I'm gonna have enough empties by bottling time. Does anyone know where to buy empty beer bottles in the toronto area. I know toronto brewing has swing tops, but I dont really want to spend that much, seeing as I know some of the bottles aren't coming back to me.

I stocked up on a couple of cases of Hacker Pschorr from the Beer Store when I started. They're swing top 500ml bottles. Beer is decent too. Rinse them thoroughly after you pour and you won't get any strange floaties causing terror when you sanitize and sterilize. Store the empties with the swing top loosely in place to avoid unnecessary compression. Another alternative would be the two pack of Muskoka Summer Wheat - another quaffable beer. The bottle is a 750ml size, but the labels are a pain.

Two and a half cases of Hacker Pschorr would give you enough bottles for a five gallon brew and you would have about 4 weeks to finish them before bottling, which I do after about a month in the primary, or after three weeks if I have emptied enough bottles.

I got almost all of my bottles from local bars. Asked if I could take some of their recycling and they were too happy to oblige. Soaked them in Oxi in the tub overnight, rubbed the labels off and sanitized.

Lot's of ways to get bottles.

Drink heavily for the next couple of weeks.

Go to the local recycling center.

Raid the dumpster behind a bar.

On trash day grab bottles out of your neighbors recycling bins.

Have a craft brew party and have your friends bring beer.

Ask any friends that drink beer to save you bottles.

Get creative and you will have more bottles than you can use in a very short time.

Back