Honey Quesiton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18DPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I added 2 lbs honey to my primary fermenter 2 days after brew. I didn't take a SG at that point but I waited until the bubbles had slowed a bit to put it in. The bubbles just got slower and slower for 2 days and Now the airlock has been completely flat for 24 hours. Saturday will have been 1 week.

OG at brew was 1.049
SG today is 1.011

I didn't pasteurize, boil or do anything to the yeast because I wanted the flavor (today it tasted pretty good) and am not concerned about ABV.

Is all that honey just sitting on bottom in a dormant blob? Should I shake/Stir it up? I read a post that said the fermentation would do that for me.

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is my beer toast?

Thanks

I would doubt that the honey wouldn't be touched, the yeast is mixed all over in the beer, it would find and eat any sugars it can in there. If your beer was still really cloudy when you put the honey in, I'd be willing to bet it did fine. You won't know for sure, though until you get done. If you're tasting the honey flavor in samples taken from the top, I'd be willing to bet you're fine.

Back