Victory Hop Devil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried this beer for the 1st time a couple weeks ago.. I really liked it. I'm gonna have to try out the recipe.

Victory Hop Devil is by far one of my favorite! There is a recipe for extract, partial and AG in beer captured. I'm sure someone will post it up, if not I can grab it from someone I know that has the book.

From Beer Captured:

8oz German Munich Malt
8oz German 65L dark crystal
8oz Cara-Munich
4.5# Extra light DME
3.5# Light LME
6oz Malto Dextrin
2oz Centennial(60 min)
1/2oz East kent Goldings (15 min)
1/2oz Cascade (15 min)
1oz Cascade (3 min)
1/2oz Cascade (dry hops)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 1056

Just brew this today from Beer Captured, but the book I have is 7.5 lbs of Extra Light DME...I'm trying to figure out how my hydrometer says I missed the OG by 0.28

JT:

I'm a total n00b (hence the following totally obvious advice) but something I have done before that messed with my OG reading is forgetting to adequately stir the wort when topping it off with cold water in the primary (concentrated wort on the bottom and mostly water on the top= diluted hyrdo reading). Hope your solution is as simple as a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon! Let us know how it turns out...

Thanks for the recipe I really enjoy this beer!
From Beer Captured:

8oz German Munich Malt
8oz Cara-Munich
4.5# Extra light DME
3.5# Light LME
6oz Malto Dextrin
2oz Centennial(60 min)
1/2oz Cascade (15 min)
1oz Cascade (3 min)
1/2oz Cascade (dry hops)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 1056

It is one of my favorites .... I am bookmarking this recipe. I ahve a couple other brews in line but will definitely try this one....

JT:

I'm a total n00b (hence the following totally obvious advice) but something I have done before that messed with my OG reading is forgetting to adequately stir the wort when topping it off with cold water in the primary (concentrated wort on the bottom and mostly water on the top= diluted hyrdo reading). Hope your solution is as simple as a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon! Let us know how it turns out...

Yeah, I had been doing full boils for the last few brews and just forgot about stirring the wort. I had a nice froth on top after adding the water in a manner that I thought would have mixed it well. Oh well, it's mixed now. It will be fine.

I'm wonder why they changed the composition of the extracts...

Hey guys, will be watching for results on this thread. Hop Devil is one of my fav 3 (4?) IPAs as well. Nowashburn - I jealous ("live not too far away from the victory brewery." . . .you lucky dog!)

I started in Dec to work up a Hop Devil clone (AG.) Brewed version 1 on New Year's and bottled it last night. In 3 weeks I'll do my first side x side taste (. . .& make adjustments no doubt!) FWIW, I hopped: Centenial 60 min, Tetnang 15 min, Centenial/Cascade 10 min, Tetnang @ flameout.

Hop Devil is a tough one - very little info on the brewers site and the few clone recipes floating around vary widely on hops & grain bill. Looking forward to everyone's results. :mug:

Any feedback from anyone who tried this recipe, specifically the extract kit from Austin Homebrew? Love Hop Devil, and would be really interested in an extract clone.

thanks!

I made the recipe from the beer captured book and it came out almost identical to the real beer. It had been my favorite batch so far.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

From Beer Captured:

8oz German Munich Malt
8oz Cara-Munich
4.5# Extra light DME
3.5# Light LME
6oz Malto Dextrin
2oz Centennial(60 min)
1/2oz Cascade (15 min)
1oz Cascade (3 min)
1/2oz Cascade (dry hops)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 1056
Has anyone brewed this one? Hop Devil was one of my first IPA's back in the day (2008?) and figured I'd brew a batch being it still sits high on my favorites list. Planning to replace the extract with ~10lbs 2row and leave out malto dextrin.

Back