Here's what I've decided on for my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
The grain came yesterday...now I just have to find time some time. The CaraMunich and SpecialB are cleanouts of some leftover grain I have on hand. I'm mostly going for a light-colored, not too sweet (hence the small amount of light crystal) summer PA with a clean hop profile and distinct hop flavor/aroma.

Beer: Columbus APA (AG) Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color:
10 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 38 IBU
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.013
Alcohol: 5.1% v/v (4.0% w/w)
Water: 1 tsp gypsum (divided between strike water and sparge water)

Grain:
9 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. German Munich
8 oz. American crystal 20L
2 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
1 oz. Belgian Special B

Mash: 70% efficiency
mash 60 minutes at 152 in approx 13.625 qts water.

Batch Sparge w/ 4.8 qts at 180 1st batch; 3.5 gal second batch
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.039 7 gallons
1 tsp irish moss at 15 min.

Hops:
.33 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (15% AA, 2 min.)

Yeast: WLP 001 California (slurry from previous batch)
Dry hop .5 oz columbus.

Sounds great. It'll be interesting to see how the maltiness is with all that crystal (in a good way).

If it were me (just ruminating), I would move the 10m addition together with the 2m and toss them in at flameout...I bet that aroma would complement the malt nicely.

Are you not dryhopping this one?

Baron von BeeGee said:
If it were me (just ruminating), I would move the 10m addition together with the 2m and toss them in at flameout...I bet that aroma would complement the malt nicely.

Are you not dryhopping this one?

Yes, that's why the last line says "Dry hop .5 oz Columbus" :confused:

I know from experience that dry-hopping with columbus gives one wallup of a hop aroma, so I'm hoping to get a little flavor out of late kettle additions as well as aroma.

I may leave the Special B out: I thought the roastiness might be a nice addition to the munich and give it a little more backbone for the intense columbus flavor. But I don't want it to be too sweet.

Brewsmith said:
Looks great. When's brew day?

Probably not 'till next weekend...

It's the end of the semester, which is to my profession what MArch and April are to tax accountants, December is to retailers, etc.

I'm hoping to maybe brew next Friday while everyone else is at school/work, and grade exams during the down times. I'm sure my students would be amuse ot know that I was brewing (and drinking, of course) beer while grading their finals.

cweston said:
I'm sure my students would be amuse ot know that I was brewing (and drinking, of course) beer while grading their finals.
I had a professor in college who posted grades at the end of the semester outside his office, or you could drop by his favorite bar across the street during his 'office hours' to get your marks in person.

Latest posts

Back