Primary in bedroom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dest149

Reaction score
Hmm, so I am thinking of where I can leave my primary, I have a very limited set of options. I was wondering if I could leave my primary in my room, or if that would be too annoying/loud with the bubbling going on for 3 days straight? I have a roomate, and my gf lives with me so its a little tough. I have a big walk in closet however it is currently full of clothes, and temperature changes worry me when the door is closed, not to mention it is right next to the bed anyways, other that that, it would have to be left in the living room which i suppose is fine... I just wanted to keep my fan (swamp cooler) in my room cause I use it at night. Any thoughts?

If you want a successful fermentation and a good end-product, priority #1 should be locating the fermenter in an environment with a stable temp that is within your yeast's temperature range: ~65º - 70ºF for most ale yeasts. Sorry to be Captain Obvious but I'm not sure what else to tell you. Hopefully you have some kind of A/C going on there. Miami's 80º+ temps this time of year are way too warm for any yeast that I have ever dealt with.

Good luck to ya'.

I keep mine in my office (home office) and find just the opposite problem you state. I actually like the tap tap tap of the bubbler, it's soothing. I'd keep it in your bedroom if you can keep temp best there. Any noise it makes is just that sweet sound of your beer making itself all nice for you.

To add to what's already been said - I'd be much more concerned with the temperature than the noise. Even if you keep your bedroom at 70°F, the fermentation activity will easily increase the beer temp to 73-75° and maybe even higher. This is really too warm for most non-Belgian yeasts and you would likely end up with some off-flavors and fusel alcohols. I know it's not always possible and/or easy, but you should try to keep the beer temps (not the ambient air) down in the 60's.

I keep mine in the sitting room behind the couch. My problem is the kids pulling out the airlock. Temp wide it works, but can be cold in winter so then I wrap a blanket around it and pitch yeast when its still warm so it gets going quickly. Might invest in s brewbelt though as getting FG down on winter can be hard. Tried hotpress but too warm.

Mines in the bedroom closet right now. However, this closet has one exterior wall and one garage wall so with cooler outside temps my fermentation temperature has been maxing out at 72F but ususally stays at 70F or below. I can't hear it at all. I would probably forget it was there if I didn't check it several times a day.

When I started brewing in 1990 I put the primary into a closet in my university apartment. Then I learned about strong primary fermentation and the need for a blow-off tube - the hard way.

Make sure you have a means of protecting your closet/bedroom/etc so you don't end up with a permanent stale beer stench.

Brent

When I started brewing in 1990 I put the primary into a closet in my university apartment. Then I learned about strong primary fermentation and the need for a blow-off tube - the hard way.

Make sure you have a means of protecting your closet/bedroom/etc so you don't end up with a permanent stale beer stench.

Brent

+1
An excellent point that definitely needed to be raised

Hmm, so I am thinking of where I can leave my primary, I have a very limited set of options. I was wondering if I could leave my primary in my room, or if that would be too annoying/loud with the bubbling going on for 3 days straight? I have a roomate, and my gf lives with me so its a little tough. I have a big walk in closet however it is currently full of clothes, and temperature changes worry me when the door is closed, not to mention it is right next to the bed anyways, other that that, it would have to be left in the living room which i suppose is fine... I just wanted to keep my fan (swamp cooler) in my room cause I use it at night. Any thoughts?

You do know the offgas from brewing beer is an aphrodisiac, Dont you? I had to move mine to the basement because SWMBO wouldn't let me get ANY sleep!!!

william_shakes_beer said:
You do know the offgas from brewing beer is an aphrodisiac, Dont you? I had to move mine to the basement because SWMBO wouldn't let me get ANY sleep!!!

If that's the truth I may move mine INTO the bedroom!!

If that's the truth I may move mine INTO the bedroom!!
+1 to that. Thanks for all the good advice guys. I usually am able to keep my apt at about 70 degrees and was hoping that with a swamp cooler, and light breeze from my fan it will be able to maintain 63-65. As for the blow off tube ordeal, I was just going to use an airlock since I have a 6 gallon carboy. I figure that it will already be in a swamp cooler, so on the off chance that anything comes out, it will just go into the bucket and i can deal with it then. I shouldn't need a blowoff tube with a 6 gallon carboy right?

The mess was awful so I take no responsibility for the answer I'm about to give...

I think with that size you'd be ok, but I'd still have a backup plan... just in case.

Brent

I shouldn't need a blowoff tube with a 6 gallon carboy right?

Famous last words?? Plenty of brewers claim to use a blow off tube for the first few days of fermentation regardless of what beer it is and then they switch to an airlock after a few days. There are many variables during fermentation and if not entirely controlled you could easily have a need for one even if you don't think you do. BTW common practice is using a 6 - 6 1/2 gallon carboy for primary so you are definitely still susceptible.

I always do a blowoff tube the first 3-5 days, then switch to an airlock for the balance of primary. Never had a mess and not planning on trying for one.

It's not like a blow-off tube is expensive. Very inexpensive insurance, I'd say.

Brent

Food-grade tubing that either fits into the top of your carboy, or fits on the inner "up-tube" (that must be the techy name!!) of your airlock. Run it down into a bucket with sanitizer.

Brent

Many LHBS sell tubes with the diameter to fit nicely into your carboy. Some only sell smaller diameter tubes but you can buy a carboy cap for that or find one that fits into your rubber bung.

LHBS seem to be a bit of a problem. There is only one that i know of near me, and it seems a little bit sketchy/overpriced/not fully stocked. But maybe I am being too harsh. I will try to go to HD this weekend and see what I can rig up

I put my siphon tubing to work in this capacity. I don't really foresee needing the blowoff and to bottle on the same day, so it should pose no problem.

I put my siphon tubing to work in this capacity. I don't really foresee needing the blowoff and to bottle on the same day, so it should pose no problem.

Hmmm I like it. Sounds good to me. All i need now is a rubber bottle stopper with a hole in it.

Back