first batch of mead gonna be great

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
i started my first batch of mead 2 1/2 weeks ago. i transferred it to a secondary at 1 week, then transferred again at 2 weeks, tasted samples each time gonna be good. here is the simple recipe i used:
3 lbs. pure clover honey
1 gallon distilled water
1 package of munton's brewer's yeast
1 1/2 cups of pureed strawberries, strained and put in primary

yesterday, i transferred to two 1/2 gallon glass jars, the stuff is getting clear. it has a pretty, light orange-ish pink color to it. the SG is at 1.030 i did not have a hydrometer at the time i started it. i have to assume the starting gravity was around 1.105 or close. i think i read that honey has 35 points per pound per gallon. i bought a bottle of mead from CVS to taste, i have never tasted mead or made it before. i think mine is better, what i bought was alot drier, i think mine would be like that if i had only used 2lbs of honey instead of three. i also have my first batch of irish stout in the secondary fermenter, it's gonna be good as well. i want to ferment some more. i am addicted to my new hobby. i just got into it to have something to do because i am off work from shoulder surgery (i shouldn't be lifting carboys or buckets, SHHHHHHH) this site is awesome as well. ton of great information.

Using this calulator, and assuming you had a total volume of 1 gallon, it looks like the SG should be around 1.111

Sounds like you enjoy sweet meads better than dry ones? I'm guessing yours will finish fairly sweet, I don't think muntons yeast has a real high alcohol tolerance.

yeah, my starting gravity i assumed to be around 1.105 or a little higher, my gravity now is at 1.030 i have never had mead before, until i tasted what i bought. i think i do like it a little sweeter. by calculation, my ABV should be around 9-10% right now. and since i put some strawberries in it i guess i can call it melomel. if it's good, i plan on making more.

Latest posts

Back