1st Temp-Controlled Brew - Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally rigged up the fridge downstairs and fermented at a proper temp. I brewed an oktoberfest/marzen but used Wyeast German Ale 1007. It started fermenting at 74 deg, dropped down in a day and has been fermenting at 58 deg for 11 days. I couldn't wait any longer and transferred it to a secondary tonight. The visible signs of yeast activity died two days ago, but when I transferred it, it still had 3/4" of foamy head on it. Is this typical of a beer fermented at lower temps?

I know I should have taken a hydro reading, but as I mentioned I got a little impatient (plus, I'm a little buzzed). The yeast has horrible flocculation and there is plenty still suspended and I'm not too worried about diacetyl in this particular ale. Still, I wonder if I should have let it go longer. I plan on at least 2 1/2 weeks in secondary.

comments?..

There's really no reason to rush to the secondary. The time in the primary is much more productive for producing cleaner beer.

You can have the same overall length of time and transfer later.

I think it sounds like you transferred early. 58 is a cool fermentation temp, and it might just take longer at this temp.

Yeah... (fast-forward 3 hours)

It's forming a new krausen as I speak. I just peeked at it. It'll be interesting to see it in the morning. This is a good argument for having 2-3 brews in all stages of brewing/fermentation at any given time... at least for those of us too impatient.

Back