Big batch yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
Hey all, I was recently approached at my workplace to brew a large batch of a 5 gal batch I made a few weeks ago that some people took a liking to. Our brewery has a 3BBL system, but I just wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has dealt with a system this large before. I know it all depends on the gravity of the beer, etc. etc. and I have no problem doing the math for the increased grain bill (I use beersmith) but the yeast leaves me slightly boggled.

I checked out Mr. Malty to see what the old yeast calculator had to say, and suppose my beer had an OG of 1.066, and my beer is 3BBL I would need around 28.5 gallons of starter. Does this sound right? Obviously I would need to step it up (I was planning on getting like 10 packs of Wyeast Northwest Ale) but I didn't know if this massive amount of starter seemed about right to someone who has done large scale brewing. Any help would be great, and if you need more info I can hopefully provide it!

Back