All grain noob with hop substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopjedi

Reaction score
Hi all, been doing extract and partial mash for three years and am ready to move forward to all grain. Made a mash tun following instructions on the site here using a 10 Rubbermaid beverage cooler. First question is will I be stirring grains frequently during mash, or not at all? I only have a large stainless steel spoon used during boil right now, but my first recipe is the hopslam, and it takes 20 lbs of grain in mash. Maybe I need one of those big paddle type stirrers? Also, simcoe is recommended for steeping with 2 oz, and dry hop with 3 oz. Can anyone recommend a good substitute? I figured nugget would work for subbing for bittering, maybe not steep or dryhop. I do have cenntennial, nugget, Columbus and Chinook onhand. I am contemplating adding rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge. How does that affect my water ratio for mash and sparge since it will absorb some. Finally, do I preheat tun with hot tap water, or same temp I am mashing with?
Thanks all

I would use the Chinook in substitute for the Simcoe if you are going to use what you have on hand. There really is no substitute for Simcoe, it is an a class all its own. Otherwise, if obtaining more hops isn't out of the question, then maybe some Amarillo mixed with your Columbus, or Chinook could be subbed for the Simcoe.

Definitely get a paddle, Home Depot sells Crawfish paddles near their BBQ supplies for like $3 drill some 1/2-3/4" holes in it, and you have yourself a great mash paddle.

Good Luck!
Cheers!:mug:

I would use the Chinook in substitute for the Simcoe if you are going to use what you have on hand. There really is no substitute for Simcoe, it is an a class all its own. Otherwise, if obtaining more hops isn't out of the question, then maybe some Amarillo mixed with your Columbus, or Chinook could be subbed for the Simcoe.

Definitely get a paddle, Home Depot sells Crawfish paddles near their BBQ supplies for like $3 drill some 1/2-3/4" holes in it, and you have yourself a great mash paddle.

Good Luck!
Cheers!:mug:

i know!! dam simcoe hop... i cant find any whole hops! :rockin:

Back