Sanitation: How long before hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelzero

Reaction score
My very first brew (APA, OG 1.054) will have been in the bottle for two weeks this coming Sunday. I can't wait to try one.

Thinking ahead to the next batch, I'd appreciate your opinions on sanitation. I found that I was not very efficient my first time around. It seemed like I was always waiting for things to dry.

I use Iodophor, which I've read only requires a one-minute contact time to sanitize, at the proper dilution of 25 ppm. I was thinking for the next batch I would fill my primary (a bucket with spigot) with solution when I put my kettle into the ice water to cool. After swishing it around for a few minutes, I'd empty it out and rinse with bottled distilled water (which should theoretically be sterile). Then I'd put the sanitized cover on the bucket, with a piece of sanitized foil over the airlock hole.

If I was to leave the bucket like this for 30 or 40 minutes (hopefully less) while my wort cooled, do you think it'd be safe?

I guess my question boils down to how long does the sanitized condition last? I know it's not possible to give a definite answer here, but any insight is appreciated.

you don't have to rinse iodophor. I guess there is no harm if you are using sterile water, but I would never consider bottled water to be sterile. It might be pretry clean, but definately not STERILE.

The iodpohor just needs a drip-dry and it's good to go. I know it smells a little like a hospital at first, but as it dries the iodine sublimates and none is left behind in the vessel.

-walker

Just use idophor as a 12.5 ppm solution. You neither have to rinse it nor do you have to dry it.

Kai

Interesting - I always took "no-rinse" to imply that it should be air dried. Perhaps I'll skip the bottled water.

Imperial Walker said:
you don't have to rinse iodophor. I guess there is no harm if you are using sterile water, but I would never consider bottled water to be sterile. It might be pretry clean, but definately not STERILE.

The iodpohor just needs a drip-dry and it's good to go. I know it smells a little like a hospital at first, but as it dries the iodine sublimates and none is left behind in the vessel.

-walker

Just to clarify, a 25 ppm solution needs to be rinsed, 12.5ppm does not, as Kaiser said.........

StarSan 1oz per 5G- I mix up a batch and put a bunch in a spray bottle. I use that to do my bottles prior to filling. It works great. With a good spray bottle, you can get a good even coat, and with that mixture, no rinsing is needed. For my lines and canes, I just spray right into it and let it run around and cover everything. No issues at all since I started using it, and I don't have to use bleach anymore, which is nice. I use bleach to clean carboys and buckets AFTER use, but that is about it.

What does a 25 and a 12.5 ppm solution look like. How dark is it? What mixing ratio do you use? I just started kegging and i use it in my empty kegs under pressure.

Imperial Walker said:
It might be pretry clean, but definately not STERILE.
Look at the label on a gallon jug of drinking water or spring water...it's filtered twice and sterilized twice. It definately is sterile.

That said, I agree with everyone else here...don't rinse a no-rinse sanitizer. As for how long something stays sanitized...it stays sanitized until something unsanitary gets on it. If you cover your stuff or set them upside down, there's little chance of airborn contamination for awhile, certainly several hours anyway, IMHO.

Dude said:
Just to clarify, a 25 ppm solution needs to be rinsed, 12.5ppm does not, as Kaiser said.........

According to the text on my bottle of Iodophor, they recommend a 25ppm solution for sanitizing beverage containers. 2 minute contact time, invert and drip dry. no need to rinse.

Since iodine sublimates, I don't see how the concentration of the solution would change it from a no-rinse to a rinse... you might need to wait longer for the sublimation to complete, but.....

edit: I actually only use a 12.5ppm solution for bottles.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
According to the text on my bottle of Iodophor, they recommend a 25ppm solution for sanitizing beverage containers. 2 minute contact time, invert and drip dry. no need to rinse.

Since iodine sublimates, I don't see how the concentration of the solution would change it from a no-rinse to a rinse... you might need to wait longer for the sublimation to complete, but.....

-walker

Thanks for all of the feedback, fellas.

I'm beginning to think I can use a 12.5ppm solution, and not worry if a few drops gets into my wort. This will definitely help streamline the process next time.

Back