How long do you add oxygen for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I made my first mead on 3/28/2010 with a starting gravity of 1.136.

So far it has gone like this.....

3 days- 1.110
6 days- 1.070
7 days- 1.060
9 days- 1.044...last check was 2 days ago.

I have added the usual nutrients and have oxygenated it every time with pure oxygen.

My question is when do I stop adding oxygen?

Yeast need oxygen most during the rapid growth phase and typically this is done by the time you've reached the 1/3 fermentation point. After that, it isn't doing anything to help you in most cases.

Honestly I've never oxygenated a mead. You don't boil it, so there's oxygen in it already (unlike boiling 5 gallons of beer which drives off every O2 molecule).

I would only oxygenate prior to pitching and then do a staggered nutrient addition. but that's just me. I don't see a need to keep adding O2. Others will disagree but all my great meads will argue its not necessary :)

I usually aerate until the 1/3 sugar break. Compared to the times I haven't, it definitely seems to speed things up. Like malkore said, I also do a staggered nutrient addition. Gotta keep those yeasties happy! :mug:

Back