2014: A year of German beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking forward to next year and to celebrate my 1/4 German heritage, I want to have a year of brewing German beers and have them ready at the appropriate times. I have already made a Schwarzbier and have 11 gallons of Octoberfest to be bottled in a week.

Heres what Im planning so far: All brewed in accordance with Getman purity law. Concentrating on German malts, hops and yeast strains.

January- Eisbock

March - Dunkel

May - Maibock
June - Pilsner (10 gallon)
July - Schwarzbier

September - Ocktoberfest (10 gallon)
Helles (10 gallon)

November - Dortmunder

What would you add to this schedule and when?

That's a great idea! What are your plans for the other 10?

Edited- because we must have posted at the same time and you answered my question!

You need a dopplebock for December, I think. And a hefeweizen for August. Or move the July Schwarzbier later, and have the hefe in July. I'd rather see an alt in July, rather than a schwarzbier but April could be a good month for an alt as well.

johnpcook1 said:
Heres what Im planning so far: All brewed in accordance with Getman purity law. Concentrating on German malts, hops and yeast strains.

January- Eisbock

March - Dunkel
April - Alt
May - Maibock
July - Schwarzbier
August - Hefeweizen
September - Ocktoberfest (10 gallon)
Helles (10 gallon)

November - Dortmunder
December - Dopplebock

What would you add to this schedule and when?

Updated

Being 100% German I have to ask - Where's the Alt? Where's the Kölsch? No love for Bavarian Hefeweizen? Lots of people mix a Pils with some soda (like Sprite) in summertime. I'd put Kölsch and Alt in the spring b/c it's big during Karneval. Hefeweizen is always good. Prost!

Ive considered an Alt in April. Is that appropriate? When is Karneval. The Hefeweizen might be in August. When should yhe Kölsch be ready??

Karneval is end at the of February but officially starts on 11/11 the year before. I just bottled a Kölsch a week ago that I made 3 weeks earlier. It can/should be conditioned for ~4 weeks or so, almost comparable to a lager.
Alt would be the same time frame, just a different region.
Hefe in August sounds heavenly!
Berliner Weisse is also a nice light beer for summer time.

Just two corrections: It's "Doppelbock" and "Oktoberfest". :tank:

Here's my Kölsch recipe based on input from this forum and a German recipe site (decoction volumes were too small so use at least 30% more, maybe even up to 50%). It tasted great and authentic during bottling and I'm anxious for the final result:

Recipe: Heimat Kölsch
Brewer: Sven
Asst Brewer:
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.83 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.7 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 25.0 %
4.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.3 %
2.00 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 26.0 IBUs
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 5 -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.25 oz Saaz [2.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 0.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Tettnang [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 1.2 IBUs
2.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (frozen stock) (White Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Double
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Maltose rest Add 21.77 l of water at 149.2 F 143.0 F 90 min
Dextrinization Decoct 6.89 l of mash and boil it 162.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Decoct 3.00 l of mash and boil it 168.0 F 20 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 3.65gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Left valve of mash tun open after purging hot water. During mash-in some liquid got lost and I replaced it with 1 gal of 143F water and added 12 oz of Pilsner malt and 4 oz of wheat malt.

Decoction volumes given by Beersmith were way off. Needed to pull grains twice more to reach the dextrinization temperature. Temperature of the decoction most likely increased too quickly since the burner is very powerful.

Did diacetyl rest on 7/4 overnight at 19 C.

Set temp to 16.5 C on 7/16.

Set temp to 15 C on 7/17.

Transfer to secondary on 7/18 and put in fridge (~40-44F).

Awesome idea! I like it a LOT! I also like ales, but dove in earlier this year, similar to your plan, into lagers. Shooting for four this year, three brewed already.

What yeast have you selected, or are you getting fresh yeast for each brew? I picked 838, but think I'm going to switch to 833.

How does your existing beer taste? Any flaws? I had DMS in my first two because of problems getting my burner to efficiently burn. Fixed that.

I don't know if i could do a whole year worth of lager, but I like your enthusiasm. I'm not so familiar with all the styles (dunkels, schwarzbiers, and alts) but curious. Not a huge rauchbier fan for the fall, but have you considered a regular strength bock? Another thought, for summer possibly or fall football season, is to do a variation on Charlie P's quarterBock recipe (from the companion book i believe). and make a low calorie bock diluted with boiled chilled water with a portion of the batch since you're doing 10 gallon brews.

TD

Edit - oh yeah, and kolsch is a great one to add to the lineup as already suggested.

January- Eisbock February - Kölsch March - Dunkel April - Alt May - Maibock June - Pilsner (10 gallon) July - Schwarzbier August - Hefeweizen or Berliner Weisse September - Oktoberfest (10 gallon) Helles (10 gallon) October - Rauchbier November - Dortmunder [/QUOTE said:
Updated and corrected. Thank you for the Kölsch recipe. That is actually what I wish to do, collect recipes from HB talk members.

Lets keep going!!

My first lagers were a Schwarzbier and an AB Amber Bock clone. Both of which did real well, but I didnt like the S 33(23?) saflager I used for the Amber Bock clone. The Schwarzbier is awesome ( whats left if it). I brewed 11 gallons of Oktoberfest in late April ( forgive me). Will bottle in 2 weeks. Taste tests so far, its amazing!! Lagered for bout 10 weeks.

Ive brewed 18 batches since September, so I know I can keep pace.

I plan on getting jus a few "house" German strains, using, washing and keep on goin. I'll plan which ones once I know what the brew sched looks like.

Im doing this to embrace German beers and brewing techniques and better manage my grain and yeast inventories. Think $$$$ savings

I'm brewing a Roggenbier soon. Never had one, but really dig rye, so I figured what the hell. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Edit: Plus I really like this idea. Very cool brewing experiment.

Schemy said:
I'm brewing a Roggenbier soon. Never had one, but really dig rye, so I figured what the hell. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Edit: Plus I really like this idea. Very cool brewing experiment.

Is there unique brewing equipment I would need for some German beers? Im already brewing all grain and have done a couple decoction mashes. Doing yeast starters. Washing yeast. Lagering with temp controllers, etc.

Thanks for the thread. I brewed a Doppelbock and a Dunkel Doppelbock, they are going fast, they are so awesome. I had a Rauchbier and a Maibock on my "to brew" list, I will be adding at least a few off of your list.

johnpcook1 said:
Is there unique brewing equipment I would need for some German beers? Im already brewing all grain and have done a couple decoction mashes. Doing yeast starters. Washing yeast. Lagering with temp controllers, etc.

I read equipment, you said experiment. Whoops!!

January- Eisbock
February - Dunkel
March - Kölsch
April - Alt
May - Maibock
July - Schwarzbier
August - Hefeweizen or Berliner Weisse
September - Oktoberfest (10 gallon)
Helles (10 gallon)
October - Rauchbier
November - Dortmunder
December -Doppelbock/Roggenbier

Updated

This is looking like a good list. Lots to brew and there prob will still be additions and deletions. All ideas are welcome. Now, can you recommend good all grain recipes? Would be even better if you have tried them and really enjoy them! So far, I really like my Schwarzbier and it looks like I have a good Kölsch recipe.

Just have to say, This is SO neat!
I have a good Doublealt(Stickealt) recipe, but it's partial mash, and I've only done it once so far. The 2013 version will be on-deck for September. It's similar to 'Long Trail Doublebag'. Isn't Vermont a province of Germany?

What about brewing the Ur-Marzen/Oktoberfest in March, to be drank in September/Oktober?
I believe that's the traditional timeframe, but could be wrong.

I like to brew Hefeweizen in spring/early summer to be drank through summer.

Great list, how about a Weizen Dobbelbock?

W0rthog said:
What about brewing the Ur-Marzen/Oktoberfest in March, to be drank in September/Oktober?

This is exactly what Im striving to do. Traditional German beers, brewed at the "right" time, to be served at the "right" time, using German malts, hops and yeast strains, in accordance to German purity law. Thats the goal anyway lol!!

i brewed a kickin weizen trippelbock based earlier this year. best beer i've ever made. OG was like 1.million . fermented with 830 and lagered for a couple of months.

damn it's good and smooth and strong. i try to drink it only once every couple of weeks.

dear OP -

your schedule is AWESOME. german beers have more variety than most people know and certainly need more love. thanks for making this thread. mad respect

progmac said:
i brewed a kickin weizen trippelbock based earlier this year. best beer i've ever made. OG was like 1.million . fermented with 830 and lagered for a couple of months.

damn it's good and smooth and strong. i try to drink it only once every couple of weeks.

dear OP -

your schedule is AWESOME. german beers have more variety than most people know and certainly need more love. thanks for making this thread. mad respect

That trippelbock sounds impressive! At this point, lets jus say the schedule is ambitious, but doable. Can you see any ways to make the schedule more "appropriate"?

Aw crap! I jus looked up Weihnachtsbockbier! A Christmas beer!!! I really like the idea of doing that but im already pretty filled up. I was going to do a christmas ale for this year. Maybe I'll have to start there lol

Love me some German beers. Sounds like your in for quite the fun brewing year. Keep the tread updated so we all can follow along, johnpcook1.:mug:

I thought this would be a fun challenge!

Any books that can be recommended? I have Brewing Classic Styles on the way and several other recipe books, articles from BYO, etc.???

That trippelbock sounds impressive! At this point, lets jus say the schedule is ambitious, but doable. Can you see any ways to make the schedule more "appropriate"?

if those are all you are brewing, it seems doable. just think that you'll need at least six weeks for each, so you'll have some fermenting while others are lagering, which means you need two temperature controlled spaces. do you have the fermentation chamber/freezer space?

I have a fridge with a temp controller that I primary ( sometimes secondary) in. I can put 2 carboys in that and I keep my jars of wort in the top. I have a chest frezzer that will hold 4 carboys that I lager in or cellar bottled beer when Im not lagering. Its temp controlled as well. I have a fridge that I keep "commercial research ;)" in as well as beers im about to drink and hops and yeast and washed yeasts and infusions. It sits at about 38 deg (the hops go in the upper freezer). I can put a temp contoller on this if I need to call it into duty. I have a small chest freezer that i keep food in (this sounds bad doesnt it :eek: ). He food freezer is just for, well, food we eat lol

If you pm me your e-mail, I can send you 3-4 recipes I brew on a particularly regular basis. Love your idea. I am a huge fan of german lagers and have meant to branch out into more varieties, so this is very cool. These are the 4 I brew quite regularly, and could send you the recipes for if you are interested.
Pilsner, Dortmunder, Oktoberfest, Helles

All 4 have done pretty well in competitions and received good feedback.... and most importantly - i like em, and my friends drink them up faster than I can brew them. Might be a starting point for you or in conjunction with other suggestions you get.

Also, I would recommend checking out the Podcast "The Jamil Show" through the Brewing network, it is also accessible on iTunes.... Scroll back through all the shows and you will find shows dedicated to individual beer styles including all the ones you are talking about doing. General info, plus suggested recipes, etc.

Back