Hops in containers - what about winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my last house, I grew several plants on the side of my deck with great success. Growing them was not a problem, getting them to not completely take over the mulch beds, was.

We are in a new house now and I'm not enthusiastic about having to constantly trim back the plants. Also, we don't actually have room for in-ground plants. So I'm considering planting some hops around our patio for both privacy plants and perhaps even use them in my beer. :) Triming them should be easier since I should be able to see the bines trying to escape out of the container.

I see several articles on container growing and my question is, what do you do with the plants in winter? Containers don't have the same insulating properties as the ground does, for sure, can I just leave the plants in the containers? Should I be concerned with them freezing through? Do I have to bring them into a garage or something? I don't want them all to die for future years.

Thanks

Back