honey wisen 6 day in fermenter now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oildude

Reaction score
my first batch ever a honey wisen is at 6 day in fermenter now and still 4-5 bpm in air lock. I am going to lhbs and getting a glass 5gl carboy on Friday and moving it to
the carboy Friday night.

How long can beer stay in pri. fermenter b4 moving to sec. fermenter?

ok...just thought you should clarify for the dude :D

i love glass, so easy to clean...you get a good, clear picture of your fermentation, perfect vessel IMO. i did have one break on me a while back (in the bathroom where i walk around barefoot no less) but haven't had any problems since i bought the handles.

it is true that beer can stay in primary for a long time without being spoiled by autolysis, however it depends greatly on the yeast youre using and the beer type. saying "my beer didnt spoil after a long time" might be true in that specific brewers case under the conditions at the time, but the combination of quickly flocculating yeast and trapped trub can be a fatal mixture. My proof... just literature, though i like to be safe with 45 bucks worth of ingredients and 5hrs of my time. Just a thought.

good luck!

I just kegged an american honey wheat that I fermented with WLP001. It spend around 14 days in primary with slow steady airlock activity. I think I've read that honey likes to take it's time when it comes to primary fermentation.

Southwood said:
I just kegged an american honey wheat that I fermented with WLP001. It spend around 14 days in primary with slow steady airlock activity. I think I've read that honey likes to take it's time when it comes to primary fermentation.

Thats what I have been reading to so I think its ok .

Thanks for your help everyone!

Being my first brew ever and I dont have any HB friends here in MN
so HBT forum is like the best! :ban: so helpfull!

Update Just transfered my first batch to secondary and had a little taste... wow even flat it was good! cant wait to bottle this stuff! :tank:

liquid frickin gold!:rockin:

Its so clean and clean now Im going to have a hard time letting it sit for 2 more weeks! just to bottle and let it sit for 3 week!

I want some now .... dang Im gona have to go buy some beer:mad:

I don't know what to brew next my shmbo is a Bohem and she wants me to brew a bohem beer but I want to wait till fall (no way to keep fermenters cool in summer 65-70 in house with ac on) cuz I want to do a lager or a pilsner so a bohem pilsner will wait.

maybe a cream ale or a sudo lager maybe a Kölsch

Super easy answer.....

Tell her you'd love to brew her a great bohemian pilsner but you need to pick up a small chest freezer to do it right.

oildude said:
I don't know what to brew next my shmbo is a Bohem and she wants me to brew a bohem beer but I want to wait till fall (no way to keep fermenters cool in summer 65-70 in house with ac on) cuz I want to do a lager or a pilsner so a bohem pilsner will wait.

maybe a cream ale or a sudo lager maybe a Kölsch

Try a Bo' with a neutral ale yeast like nottingham. That's what I do. I have one in the fermenter right now.

dantodd said:
Super easy answer.....

Tell her you'd love to brew her a great bohemian pilsner but you need to pick up a small chest freezer to do it right.

You are right I do need chest freezer and what a good way to get one thanks!

still may take some flowers and candy :p

OK so I have bottled my first brew a honey wheat and had a taste and it was

vary tasty cant wait to try some carbonated!:rockin:

Just want to pat myself on the back.:D

I think wheat beer Is my favorite, any one else feel this way?
:mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
I had 1 HW in a primary for 34 days and it won Best of Style and Best of Show over 100 plus brews...I think yours will be OK until Friday. :D ;)

Did you go straight to bottles/keg after the primary? I have been thinking that a long wait in a primary would be good for a hefe because it does not necessarily need to "clarify."

Oildude, Congrats on your first brew!! I did my first yesterday and its sitting in the primary, and I am waiting to see some action...

:rockin: :tank:

oildude, you can totally keep a fermenter in the mid 60's, with the rest of the house at a more realistic 78F.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com//showthread.php?t=32651
cost is only $20, and works great if you have A/C vents in your floor.

brew some more! you've gotta get a good stockpile of beer aging for the coming months :)
plus several batches in a row (done patiently) really helps with learning all the basics and developing a good sanitizing routine.

homebrewer_99 said:
After the 34 days in the primary it didn't need a secondary at all...right to the bottle. ;)

Well I left this one in primary for 12 day @ 68-70F. 2 days of that was a bit warm 74F.

Vary clear at that point but still a bit green from what I was told.

Tranfer to secondary and let it sit for 22 days it was a bit warm here in MN US

and my house was hard to keep 70F but I dont think the beer got hurt.?

malkore said:
brew some more! you've gotta get a good stockpile of beer aging for the coming months :)
plus several batches in a row (done patiently) really helps with learning all the basics and developing a good sanitizing routine.

That's the one thing I can't seem to do - get a stock built up fast enough to not drink all of one batch or another within 2-3 weeks after the 1,2,3 rule. Usually it's just 1,2,2 GO! Just have to keep after it I guess.

Done! The first brew under my belt .....:rockin:

This is a vary good beer if I do say so my self:D

Bottling the cream ale 2nite :rockin:

and that looks so good to. I bet it is!

Latest posts

Back