My kettle RIMS build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccfoo242

Reaction score
After way too many delays I got started on my control panel today. I originally thought I was just going to update my current batch sparge setup to use electricity but after buying all of my parts and having a delay in building it I decided to simplify things and make a BrewEasy clone. I like the simplicity of just two pots and a single heat source. I understand that efficiency is lower than traditional 3 vessel systems but my goal is ease of use and a smaller footprint.

Wiring diagram:
RIMkZAF.png

I started playing around with the layout using cardboard. As you can see I went through several changes and even this isn't what I settled on:
pzsolmP.jpg

The box I bought was bigger than I wanted but will give me room for expansion later, because I get bored.
BUD Industries NBF-32026 Plastic ABS NEMA Economy Box with Solid Door, 15-47/64" Length x 11-51/64" Width x 6-9/32" Height, Light Gray Finish
31xRt748pFL._SY445_.jpg

I'll post a complete part list later.

Prepping the front:
DRAbu8H.jpg

Drawing where I want the components to go:
Q2qvpGh.jpg

The box didn't include a base to mount the parts on. I decided I wanted to save $10 by making one myself. First mistake. This took me an hour probably.
qc5mNBg.jpg

Using forstner bits to cut the holes. These came out nicely but I couldn't get the front panel off and was afraid I would break it accidentally so I made do. This slowed things down a lot.
6zMT4NI.jpg

I used a 20 TPI blade in my jigsaw to cut the straight bits:
f3CrodE.jpg

Test fitting the front components:
AC3s1D6.jpg

Boatloads of room leftover:
Fp8SnuD.jpg

EmJBPb5.jpg

My original plan had two SSR's so I bought a large heat sink that could handle both. Then I bought a Teledyne SSR which is like two SSR's in one. Then I changed my plans and only needed one SSR. So, the heat sink is a bit over sized.
eXVyNGj.jpg

Bottom view:
3bVvHSJ.jpg

Pissed about the hole for the 120V outlet. I had bought some single plug outlets but after I cut the holes for them I found out they were made for thinner project boxes and the tabs for them just wouldn't work with the thickness of this box. So I grabbed what I had and made do with a hole that's slightly too big. I'll fill the gaps with some silicone caulk later. Typing this up I realize that I forgot to snip the tab connecting both receptacles.

You can also see the rough job my hand drill did cutting the hole for the 30A recepticle. This part of the box wouldn't fit on the drill press. My cordless drill was too weak. So I tried a cheap corded drill that I use to crush grain. Ugh!
Lfa4JzY.jpg

Fuses and temp controller connection:
8yzW648.jpg

Tomorrow is my last day off where I'll have a chance to add the GFCI breaker so I'll do that then. Will post pics when I get that done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I realized today that I'm missing a switch for the element and a fuse holder. I need to take my time on this and not get ahead of myself.

Since I had an opportunity to cut power to the house today without interrupting my son's Xbox.

I needed an outlet for this plus one for a car charger. Located them below the panel in my garage:
K2uxFPy.jpg

AWVWDdQ.jpg

legnOWb.jpg

Zr6SOb6.jpg

Installed the 240v boilcoil this morning. Had a slight issue in that the punch I bought barely made a dimple in the pot. The bit walked every so slightly on one hole but it's not noticeable. Everything lines up nicely and holds water.

LOUbyGX.jpg

BhODo2b.jpg

zRduoBF.jpg

4ImeyDj.jpg

Damn this takes a long time.

A3zYer6.jpg

yup! and your is going to be a messy rats nest of wires like mine.... whenever I build a bigger panel (dual element 1.5b nano setup I keep dreaming about) Im going to use a bigger box and wire things in a more organized manner... wait till you pull your agart in a year or two to add something to it... I was really scratching my head for a bit trying to re-figure things out... a wiring schematic would help too... I should have made one of those instead of doing everything from memory..

Trying to clean it up now. Still don't have the temp probe wires correct. I'm using the blichmann probe and wire. Even though it's got 4 pins only 3 wires are used. Measured the resistance between each wire combination and I get 1.6 ohms for two combinations and 0.9 ohms for the other. Still getting weird temps even though I'm following directions posted in several threads.

tSmm5VD.jpg

XAS3ug8.jpg

K1Ulixx.jpg

I figured out why my temps were weird: I had a broken wire, once I clipped and re-soldered the wires to the connector it started working again. Tonight I wanted to test everything and also clean the new stainless mash tun. Happy to say it all worked!

Very happy that it's all working. Many thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help. :tank:

Back