Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Yeast taste in root beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
stephen115
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You shouldn't get yeasty flavor. Try using less champagne yeast in the next batch, and then consider leaving it in the fridge a bit longer so that the yeast all settles on the bottom, and pour off carefully to avoid the yeast.

We made root beer (and ginger ale) for years this way, with good results!

Oh, one other thing- maybe think about using smaller bottles. You could still make up a 2L pitcher of the root beer, but then pour it into 12 oz or 16 oz soda bottles, so you could pour it into a mug in one pour without going up and down to resuspend the yeast that is at the bottom.
I'm using Safale s-04. I was going to use champagne yeast but they recommend I not.

I am being careful when pouring

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Ducatisti
Recipes 

Default Noob Struggling also

I have just completed batch 2. Still not happy. Tastes like fermented root beer.
3 gallons:
1tbls root beer extract (rainbow)
2 cups gran sugar
2 cups brwn sugar
2 cups stevia sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp Champagne yeast

water boil temp at 110 (fast bubble)

brewed for 3 days with a Pressure relief valve at top of 3 gallon bottle.

The taste is fermenty, and the liquid looks like unfiltered rootbeer (grainy).

I really want this to work, but am a little frustrated right now. I guess I need more explicit instructions.

I have a stock pot and boiled water to 105-110 degrees, put the yeast in and let it dissolve, then added all the sugar and extract. Poored into the 3 gallon bottle and capped for 3 days. The pressure relief valve works like a "P" trap. It allows gas to escape but does not allow air to get in (bought at brew store).

Does anyone see problems with this?? I LOVE ROOT BEER, as I have not drank alcohol in 5 years and i am 38 yrs old.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisti View Post
brewed for 3 days with a Pressure relief valve at top of 3 gallon bottle.
By allowing it to ferment for three days, and letting the pressure out, you will have fermented root beer.

The only reason to use yeast at all is to carbonate the root beer, not to ferment it. By fermenting it, and letting out the c02, you're making an alcoholic beverage and not soda.

Next time, make up a very small batch. Use 1/4 teaspoon of yeast (champagne yeast only) for a 2L size batch. Don't boil or anything, just mix it up. Then pour it into your 2L soda bottle. Cap tightly. When hard, put it in the fridge.

After it's had time to sit in the fridge for two days, pour the soda into a glass, being careful to not resuspend the yeast in the bottom.

There will always be a small amount of alcohol in homemade soda that uses yeast to carbonate. If you are not able to drink any alcohol at all, then you'd need to force carbonate the rootbeer instead of using yeast to carbonate it.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Ducatisti
Recipes 

Yooper, thanks for the valuable info. UNfortunately I have a bigger problem... The wife was right, DANG!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisti View Post
Yooper, thanks for the valuable info. UNfortunately I have a bigger problem... The wife was right, DANG!
I hate to break it to you, but "you're right, dear" is the most useful phrase in the English language.

Quick Reply