Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
urban_homesteader
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Question

So I first tried home soda brewing and used read star multipurpose (baking) yeast for fermentation. The carbonation was done in about 2 days and sometimes as little as 36 hours. Well my loving wife baught me a home brewing kit for Christmas and I started using Red Star wine yeast that came with the kit. My first batch sat totally uncarbonated (it seemed) after 72 hours. I reset and brewed a second batch last night and 24 hours later it seems I may be on the same track as last time...

My question is do different strains ferment slower/ faster than others? If so is wine yeast just supre slow brewing? Or am I just making some avoidable noob mistake that is sabatoging my brew? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4909 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_homesteader View Post
So I first tried home soda brewing and used read star multipurpose (baking) yeast for fermentation. The carbonation was done in about 2 days and sometimes as little as 36 hours. Well my loving wife baught me a home brewing kit for Christmas and I started using Red Star wine yeast that came with the kit. My first batch sat totally uncarbonated (it seemed) after 72 hours. I reset and brewed a second batch last night and 24 hours later it seems I may be on the same track as last time...

My question is do different strains ferment slower/ faster than others? If so is wine yeast just supre slow brewing? Or am I just making some avoidable noob mistake that is sabatoging my brew? Thanks in advance for any help.
Red Star yeast should work just fine. Is it possibly colder now than when you used bread yeast? Try to keep the soda at at least 70 degrees to carb up.

How much yeast did you use? I use about 1/4 teaspoon or so for 2 quarts of soda.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
urban_homesteader
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
How much yeast did you use? I use about 1/4 teaspoon or so for 2 quarts of soda.
I used 1/4 teaspoon for 2 gallons of soda. It's what the ginger beer extract directions said. I was thinking maybe it's not enough yeast.

As far as too cold, I know that may have been a contributing factor for the first batch but this one has been in the hottest room in my house, it's about 73 in there.

We'll have to see how this shapes up...

Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
urban_homesteader
Recipes 

Well I bottled a batch of cream soda and slightly rasied the temprature of the water in the mixture used in the bottles and whala! Seems I've identified the problem. I thought I was using warm enough water but turns out yeast likes it a little warmer. Thanks for the replies.

-UH

Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
homebirch
Recipes 

i have the same issue. up until christmas, i was using bakers yeast. i just brewed a new batch last thirsday with champagne yeast, and its just now starting to having noticeable change in pressure. i didnt do anything different really, so it must be the cold weather.

Quick Reply