New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Yeast Measuring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Crazy8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Yeast Measuring

I had a bit of a misshap last night. It seems that i may have put in to much yeast into my root beer and 11-16oz bottles had to be dumped, or sprayed rather, down the drain. I like to have my bottles ready.to go in the fridge the same time as everything else. How can I more accurately measure out champagne yeast for bottles? I use a little less than 1/4tsp per gallon. I did once divide 3/8tsp 12 times (12 16oz bottles equal 1.5 gallons) and that can't be the most effective way of doing this. I typically let my batches sit for about 3 days and put them in the fridge sometime during the third day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3854 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
I had a bit of a misshap last night. It seems that i may have put in to much yeast into my root beer and 11-16oz bottles had to be dumped, or sprayed rather, down the drain. I like to have my bottles ready.to go in the fridge the same time as everything else. How can I more accurately measure out champagne yeast for bottles? I use a little less than 1/4tsp per gallon. I did once divide 3/8tsp 12 times (12 16oz bottles equal 1.5 gallons) and that can't be the most effective way of doing this. I typically let my batches sit for about 3 days and put them in the fridge sometime during the third day.
The amount of yeast doesn't matter at all, so you don't have to worry about measuring it accurately. The yeast multiplies in the soda, and then begins fermentation to carb up the soda.

You can use a gram scale if you have one, or a measuring spoon. It doesn't really matter. "Good enough" as a guestimate is really good enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply