Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Whiskey and Coke on Tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
blackcows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Whiskey and Coke on Tap

I have a few friends that prefer mixed drinks to beer so just for fun I filled a keg with Jim Beam and Coke. I used two liter bottles of coke and poured them into a corney keg along with the Beam. I did this one morning and served that night with no problems using the same set up that I had for root beer, 25 feet of line at 30 psi. It is now a few weeks later and it is pouring nothing but foam. I tried pulling the valve on the keg and lowering the psi but no good. Any suggetions? Should I be running at 30 psi?

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Using CO2 at that pressure will overcarbonate your drink. When pushing long distances, what people generally use is a beer gas mix where the gas isn't readily mixed into solution like CO2 will.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
blackcows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am using 25 feet of line not because I need to go that far but becuase this is the amount of line needed to balance the system at 30 psi.

I used a similar set up for root beer for years with no problem and I know many others use a system with similar specs. Is root beer carbonated at a higher volume than other sodas?

Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
KhellendrosXS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

30 PSI for rootbeer is generally where mine is set at. What is the temp in your fridge and is the line contained in a cool place (not a tower, etc) where it could be warming up?

My guess is that you have simply overcarbed and/or allowed the line to get warmer than the keg.

I think your best bet would be to turn your regulator back to about 20 and start bleeding the excess CO2 out of the keg until you get to 20. Then hook the gas back up and try serving again. If you think about the carb levels between most soda and rootbeer, rootbeer almost is always higher (with the exception of Dr. Pepper IMO).

Keg1: Rootbeer
Keg2: Gnome Cream Soda
Keg3: Edworts Apfelwein
Keg4: BM's Centenial Blonde
Keg5: BM's Tits Up IIPA

Old 01-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

I suspect you have a gusher infection.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
blackcows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I suspect you have a gusher infection.
Not sure how I would get an infection, it's Coca-Cola and Jim Beam poured into a sanitized keg.

Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcows View Post
Not sure how I would get an infection, it's Coca-Cola and Jim Beam poured into a sanitized keg.

Mike
tongue in cheek...

Maybe its just a problem of the soda already being carbonated? Try leaving it at 30 psi for a day or two and see if it evens itself back out.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
blackcows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhellendrosXS View Post
30 PSI for rootbeer is generally where mine is set at. What is the temp in your fridge and is the line contained in a cool place (not a tower, etc) where it could be warming up?

My guess is that you have simply overcarbed and/or allowed the line to get warmer than the keg.

I think your best bet would be to turn your regulator back to about 20 and start bleeding the excess CO2 out of the keg until you get to 20. Then hook the gas back up and try serving again. If you think about the carb levels between most soda and rootbeer, rootbeer almost is always higher (with the exception of Dr. Pepper IMO).
I am thinking it isn't the setup as it is the same setup I used for Root Beer for years with no problem. The only difference is that the keg is now in the front of the kegerator as opposed to the back but the door is rarely opened.

I agree with you that I need to turn the reg back and see what happens. The one varaible is the liquor and I am wondering if that is giving me the problem. I have it mixed to about 10% ABV so I am not only carbonating Coke but I am also carbonating Jim Beam.

Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
danculwell
Recipes 

Have you noticed that when you mix the whiskey with coke in your glass the carbonation changes. It suddenly doesn't seem as carbonated. I wonder if this might have something to do with it.

6.5 Gal bucket Guiness Clone
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking:Mr Beer Wheat, Apfelwein, Graff, Grape, Lemonade, Raspberry, and Cherry Apfelwein, AHS Noble Pils (Ale)
On Deck:Who knows anymore

Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

are you having the classic issues of immiscibility?

Quick Reply