New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > well water and carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Rigger103
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default well water and carbonation

I was wondering about how natural minerals and hardness effects the carbonation of water if at all......

You don't choose a life...........you live one

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't noticed anything major. I'm sure there's some scientific studies out there though.

However, the original carbonated water was that of mineral springs, which have natural minerals and hardness, usually due to calcium carbonate. Something about how calcium carbonate dissolves under pressure and carbonation.

many waters back in the soda jerk age and even now use distilled water and add specific amounts of various minerals and salts to create mineral water (which has hardness due to the additions).

In regards to these, I'd say that it's going to be pretty negligible. (You might use more, or less, co2 to carbonate perhaps, but it would not likely be a significant amount).

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Rigger103
Recipes 

my well water has some manganese in it (it makes a black stain in my toilet tanks after a few months) and a minimal amount of iron. when I had my last well drilled back in the late 90s I had PVC casing used to minimize the amount of iron that wold be in the water (or so said the well driller) I have noticed a huge difference in the water from my last well which was a shallow well of about 80 feet rather then 350 feet of my current one. anyway thanks for the comment.......I will be out of the soda making for the next few months going to Saudi Arabia today for work........will try to look in on you all from time to time......Airborne........

Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Rbeckett
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Whooo Ah!!! Good luck in Saudi, I just spent two + years in Iraq as a civilian contractor. Work was tough, and the heat was nothing short of amazing, but I got a lot of good projects done for my guys in the armored vehicles. Never lost a soldier due to equipment failure on the battlefield. And some of my mods have been incorporated in the follow on designs of the Cougar and other MRAP style vehicles. Be carefull and get back in one piece so you can carbonate as much stuff as you desire.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Rigger103
Recipes 

Thanks Bob....I arrived in one piece had a great flight over here (had 3 seats to myself so i could lay out and sleep)......still didnt' sleep very well.........its hard to get used to the hours difference. we are 7 hours ahead of home on the east coast. It is definitely an adventure the biggest change Ive noticed is the driving ( forget defensive driving you have to go to the Madd Maxx school of offensive driving to survive here) thats why there is so many SUV over here and not to mention only 10$ american to fill one up.....

Quick Reply