Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Want real rootbeer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
sterling214
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
This recipe was posted by Flyweed several weeks ago.. I cant remember which forum I copied it from.. Been wanting to try it..

Not sure if he used extract or dried herbs....
That recipe sounds pretty good. You can get sarsaparilla root bark, which has none of the FDA banned chemical, and health food stores.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #12
BearNP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Please post how your rootbeer turns out, and whichever recipe you decide to use. Would love to brew some up for my family.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Anyone know of a diet rootbeer recipe?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
sterling214
Recipes 

My guess would be just to cut back on the sugar. Maybe sub in some artificial sweetener for some, but not all of the sugar.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
talenos
Recipes 

Anyone know if you can just buy HFCS? Karo brand has flavorings in it. I'm curious because a friend wanted to test to see how well people could tell the difference.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
The main problem with "regular" soda is the High Fructose Corn Syrup. That said, you're not adding that to your root beer, rather you are using cane sugar which the body can digest normally. Nothing more "diet" than using all natural ingredients....

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Unless you are kegging, I don't think you can make a diet soda using yeast to carb since yeast requires sugar to do it's job.. But if you are kegging maybe there is an aceptable sugar substitute out there somewhere.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Rigger103 Likes This 
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
MrFinstad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sassafras 'll kill ya???

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenos View Post
I think sassafras has been known to cause cancer so they use wintergreen now. So you might not want to go that route, just because it's probably much harder to find, even if you love the idea of getting cancer.
I owned an organic root beer business for a while. Though I cannot divulge the secret company recipe, I did learn quite a bit about the Sassafras root.

It was banned from consumption based upon a single animal study. Inquisitive as I am, I turned up this study, which was performed on some poor rats. My research is currently thousands of miles away from me, but if I remember correctly, they injected the little guys with enough sassafras to equate to an average sized man drinking inhuman quantities of rootbeer every day...I want to say like five gallons a day. Consumed in normal amounts it wasn't any more dangerous than eating an apple every morning. Hey, isn't that supposed to be good for you?

Anyway, I would look into yourself, rather taking the FDA at its word. People have been eating or drinking the root for thousands of years. The FDA has only been stumbling over itself for the last hundred.

I tried making a few batches with some personally harvested root, which were great. I also tried batches with the bark, which were not great. Safrole, the stuff they say will kill you, is much more concentrated in the root, and as far as I can tell, entirely responsible for the delicousness and fragrance of old fashioned root beer.

That said, there are hundreds of things people have thrown together and called rootbeer. If you can manage to think outside the usual consumer norms, root beer can be pretty much anything you want it to be. Hell, I've seen some old recipes that would do a lot more than give you cancer.

I'm sure I sound like a delusional cancer crazed sassafras lover, so I'll try and post the study If I can dig it up again.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenos View Post
I think sassafras has been known to cause cancer so they use wintergreen now. So you might not want to go that route, just because it's probably much harder to find, even if you love the idea of getting cancer.
We use to make tea with this in Mississippi and now they say not too i really liked it thou.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
armorshell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
The main problem with "regular" soda is the High Fructose Corn Syrup. That said, you're not adding that to your root beer, rather you are using cane sugar which the body can digest normally. Nothing more "diet" than using all natural ingredients....
The body can digest HFCS normally...it's just a supersaturated solution of fructose and glucose in almost exactly the same concetrations as most honeys. The reason it's problematic from a "diet" standpoint is because your body can digest it.

Quick Reply