The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Vernors recipe??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #31
netsecgeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a shot hopefully this weekend. Do you think the lemon oil is necessary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #32
Becca58
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsecgeek View Post
Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a shot hopefully this weekend. Do you think the lemon oil is necessary?
Y'know, I'm not entirely sure. Several of my ingredients come from researching old Dublin recipes for ginger ale, along with tasting Vernor's and just working things out that way. The old Dublin recipes tend to call for both lemon juice and lemon oil. Frankly, I think this recipe has too much lemon in it; I'm thinking cut it by 1/3 to 1/2. As for the oil... hmmm. I'm not convinced, but I've bought it so I'm going to use it for a few more batches until I am certain.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #33
Becca58
Recipes 

Some may ask: why the old Dublin recipes? Because that is what Dr. Vernor based his recipe on. It took me about three weeks digging through the intertubes to glean what I could. But this recipe as I've posted it is as close to that as I've been able to get - so far. I'm going to keep tweaking it, but it's awfully good now.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
netsecgeek
Recipes 

I didn't make it to the LHBS this weekend to get the oak. When I do though, I'm thinking of making a tincture and then blending in the oak flavor instead of directly oaking the syrup.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
Becca58
Recipes 

I am not a brewer by any stretch of the imagination nor do I play one on television, so I'm not familiar with this. I don't think that having charred oak in the syrup (or the syrup in charred oak barrels) is the same thing as adding oak flavor to the syrup. Am I mistaken?

In any event, I'm trying to recreate the original Vernor's recipe or get close, and not using modern manufacturing shortcuts. That's just my take on it.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #36
Becca58
Recipes 

For the oak I'm using, I just went to the big-box lumber store and bought a 4-foot piece of red oak that is about 2 inches by 1/4 inch. Cut to length, char it in a fire, add it to the syrup container.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #37
Becca58
Recipes 

Quote:
I've been thinking since you asked this question, and doing sniff tests of the syrup as it matures. There is definitely too much lemon in the recipe.

So I have modified the post with my recipe, removing the lemon oil and reducing the lemon juice by 1/3. I may reduce it further, but I'll wait until I make another batch before I adjust it again.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #38
netsecgeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca58 View Post
I've been thinking since you asked this question, and doing sniff tests of the syrup as it matures. There is definitely too much lemon in the recipe.

So I have modified the post with my recipe, removing the lemon oil and reducing the lemon juice by 1/3. I may reduce it further, but I'll wait until I make another batch before I adjust it again.
Ran across this article on citrus and thought you may find the bit about lemon juice and aging interesting.

I wonder if just some zest would do the trick if it's still too lemony.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
Becca58
Recipes 

Quote:
Ran across this article on citrus and thought you may find the bit about lemon juice and aging interesting.

I wonder if just some zest would do the trick if it's still too lemony.
Nice article; thanks! I'm going to have to digest and ponder it....

Quick Reply