Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
gotmud99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do you think you could use the rainbow extracts available at most lhbs?

I have a 4oz bottle or rainbow root beer extract and I was thinking about making the syrup and trying it out using your style.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2758 Times on 2709 Posts
Likes Given: 115

16 pumps of syrup per glass of soda?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think i will try some of them... gnome hasn't really "knocked my socks off" so i have been on the prowl.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 10-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
16 pumps of syrup per glass of soda?
Yeah about an ounce of syrup makes 16 ounces of soda... it will be to flavor of course so your mileage may vary. I wish the pumps had a bigger draw on them but sixteen isn't as much work as it sounds, lol.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #25
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmud99 View Post
Do you think you could use the rainbow extracts available at most lhbs?

I have a 4oz bottle or rainbow root beer extract and I was thinking about making the syrup and trying it out using your style.
I'm willing to bet you could mix it up as a syrup. Just add all the sugar and concentrate and only a fraction of the water. From there you just add it to a glass of seltzer to get what you want. Not sure the ratios though I bet there is a recipe online somewhere.

| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingkitty View Post
i think i will try some of them... gnome hasn't really "knocked my socks off" so i have been on the prowl.

Haven't tried gnome but I like these and will be trying some of their other flavors soon. Many of them I have no interest in but with 60+ flavors there has to be something there for everyone, lol.

The flavor will be significantly different between sugar substitute and real sugar, of course, but I can only see it getting better. I'm used to the substitute though and am not a big fan of sugary drinks.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #27
HeavyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the info, I ordered six concentrates and the pump bottles to go with it. Getting my water ready today!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

http://snow-balls.com/flavors.htm

When was 14-15 I worked at a place that had one of these style of snow machines and concentrate flavors. You could probably do something very similar with the concentrates and they have double the flavors the site you listed. I remember making the syrups for the ices. It was very little concentrate for a quart bottle of syrup with LOTS of sugar and warm water. Whenever I convince the wife to let me have a kegging setup I'd like to have some soda on tap as well. Plus we could save by not buying San Pellegrino. The other use would be using the carbonated water in place of purchasing club soda. I could build a specific water profile from distilled or RO water for great mixers!

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Thanks for the link! More options are always better. As for the snow cone thing... I have a ice shredder that I use in summer to make the equivalent of snow cones or slurpies. I've already been eying the syrup to use with it.

Oh and yeah that is exactly how this concentrate is put together. Tons of sugar, an ounce of concentrate and warm water.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #30
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

FYI Dill pickle is very very strange flavor. Reading that link the *** says to not use sugar so maybe that's why it tasted so strange where I worked. We added sugar. It was a small sample bottle they sent us. It did not sell...I'm surprised I remember from 11 years ago. Then again a pickle flavored snowball is something you might remember.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply