Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

No but it does push out hard and fast, lol. Another thread mentions that decarbing is an issue and that they use a much longer liquid run (20'+ I think they said). The drink stays bubbly until I'm done with it but I'm guessing it does outgas a lot coming out at that pressure. Going to give a longer tube a shot when I have the time to rerun tap #4.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sounds good. let me know how the longer tube works for you. i also rad about something to use inside the dip tube that acts like you are using a longer hose. i cant remember what its called but i think i have a couple of them laying around here.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Yeah I saw that too. The concern though is to reduce pressure/speed on the pour. It doesn't foam up or anything but my understanding is a lot of the CO2 does outgas coming out that fast.

Really though I'm not a heavy carb person and they stay plenty bubbly to the end. I'm just curious as to the actual difference with the longer tubing and it is just water so I'd only be wasting a bit of my time swapping the tubing out.

| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #14
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Actually that gizmo is from McMaster and I was due to order some quick disconnects and tap inserts from them anyway. I got a couple of them to try out. It actually looks like exactly what I would need as it slows down the liquid coming out the tap. Be interesting to see what a difference it makes.

EDIT: I guess leaving it at "gizmo" was a bit lame of me, lol...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

high pressure would help help with the mixing as it slams the bottom of the glass, no??

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #16
bilder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What ratio of splenda/concentrate are you using?

There is a skinny man inside of me crying to get out, but I can usually shut him up with some bacon.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #17
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingkitty View Post
high pressure would help help with the mixing as it slams the bottom of the glass, no??
Yeah it mixes up great. I just drop in the syrup and fill then add a handful of ice. I'm thinking even at lower volume it should do the same. I'll know better when I experiment with the bayonets. McMaster is only like an hour from me so I typically get their stuff next day. I'll be experimenting with it tomorrow most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilder View Post
What ratio of splenda/concentrate are you using?
I do a 100% swap for sugar substitute (generic Splenda) in the recipe so it is 2 3/4 cups per pump bottle. You would want to try reconstituting one bottle at a time or use your personal conversion rate though to taste. I know some people prefer more or less of the substitute to the real stuff.

It is expensive but not too bad since I always grab one or two of those bulk bags when I see them on sale and the generic is generally cheaper than the branded stuff already.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #18
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so the 4oz bottle makes a gallon of "ready to use concentrate"? where does your 96 gallons math come from? my math puts it at 6 gallons according to their website. how are all the flavors you have tried? what is your mix-ratio of concentrate:water?? you don't have storage issues assuming they stay out in the lighted room??

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #19
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

There are 4 oz of concentrate in a bottle.
1 oz concentrate = 32 oz (1 qt) syrup (one of those pump bottles)
1 oz syrup = 16 oz soda (large cup with a handful of ice)

so...
4 * 32 * 16 = 2048 oz or 16 gallons per bottle

I was accounting for 6 bottles so that would actually be 96 gallons.
Then again it is flavor to taste and I like mine a little on the weak side so I guess your mileage may vary.

I don't measure the syrup into the soda but I do 16 pumps and just did that into a shot glass out of curiosity. It is right about an ounce.

That does sound like an awful lot so I'm wondering if I didn't mess up somewhere, lol. Now I'm second guessing myself. On paper though it is right.

Oh and I actually store them in my fridge for now. Once I find a carrier (like a sports water bottle carrier) that fits them I will just put them in my keezer. There is room on the hump.

Last edited by TomSD; 10-01-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Math is hard... dur! lol

Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #20
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

As for the flavors they are all pretty good. I really like the Sarsaparilla and Black Cherry though. The least favorite would be the Lemon Lime which, being a big Sprite/7Up fan, was disappointing. It is ok just not quite what I expected.

d_m_s_00 Likes This 

Quick Reply