Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #181
FTJoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Tried reading every page of this thread to find the answer to my question but couldn't isolate it.

If I want to make 5 gallons of this for precarbed soda how much of the 4 oz bottle should I use? I have been using other brands but most don't knock my socks off as one poster said so I am wanting to try something new and also try using a sugar alternative like splenda or nutra sweet. Can anyone recommend which might be the best alternative to sugar to use?
I posted this link above but here it is again...this is double the strength of regular ezsweetz http://www.amazon.com/Packs-0-5-Liqu...ywords=ezsweet.

Also, here is a another thread talking about concentrate strengths.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/rio-soda-syrups-333447/.

If my calcs are correct based on PM's recipe,you should be able to extrapolate to 5 gallons. Just to be clear,I am using concentrates.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #182
Lisn2me
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisn2me View Post
Great thread.
Now that I have my Kegerator my Family wants Soda so I ordered some PM concentrate earlier this week. Reading through this I will need to start carbing the Water today if I want it ready for the 4th, we do a big shin dig with a great fireworks show at the end and soda on tap would be a good addition for the kids and adults that don’t partake in my beers.

For those that are using maltrodextrin in your syrup, how much are you adding to the concentrate? I like the idea of additional mouth feel but not too much.

Thanks.

following up on my own post..

I ended up adding 1Tbsp of Maltodextrine to the Rootbeer concentrate and 2Tbsp to the Cream soda and not really noticing a difference in mouthfeel from my non modified black cherry concentrate. With the viscosity still very thin I am going to heat and increase the amount to 2oz by weight for each bottle.

Tom said he was having success with 5gal of water and a half pound Maltodextrine if I break that out to what I would need in each bottle of concentrate I would 6.4 oz per 20oz bottle with 1 20oz making just under 4 gallons of soda. I really think that would really thicken the concentrate beyond use so I am going to try adding more to the concentrate.

I am also not fully carbed so the head is less than stellar...

Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #183
kevin009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Thanks for sharing the information, i will try it too.

Crave for a thing, you will get it. Renounce the craving, the object will follow you by itself.

- Swami Sivananda

Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #184
snickers104
Recipes 

Has anyone tried the bag in box syrups from Sams Club?? Not kegging it but using it like an Italian soda.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #185
grendelrt
Recipes 

I started doing carbonated water + rio extracts this week. We got black cherry , cola and cream soda. As some others have stated we are finding them to be a little weak. I did 2 3/4 cup splenda, 20oz water, 1 oz concentrate. Since it is Splenda we did what the directions said and topped off to 32oz total. We also made a second batch with 20oz water, 2 3/4 cup sugar, 1 oz concentrate (which didnt require top off). The taste was basically the same so we will prob stick with splenda because of the 0 calories. Has anyone fidgeted more with the recipe, maybe tried 1.5oz concentrate? Also does anyone have some homemade recipes to make syrup I could store in 32oz like the rio stuff? I would really like to made a limeade syrup =)

Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #186
KingPin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Hey Grendelrt,

I've been using the RIO Syrups for a bit now (basic 6 flavour starter pack). I have mixed up the grape, root beer, and cream soda so far. I have used the 20 oz water with 2.5 cups sugar. Only the cream soda so far has seemed weak on its flavor using the recommended guidelines (i actually had to pump it up to about 2.5 oz of flavoring to make it worth my while but then again we are all different). I am using about 16/18 oz glasses and find that about 3-4 oz of the mix are what is needed to make it flavorful (cream soda seems so far to be the exception to that rule requiring quite a bit more to taste). I havent tried jacking up the sugar yet as i'm worried about the amount of sugar in the drinks and here in Canada Splenda is a flippin rip off to buy.

Let me know what you find...

King

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
I started doing carbonated water + rio extracts this week. We got black cherry , cola and cream soda. As some others have stated we are finding them to be a little weak. I did 2 3/4 cup splenda, 20oz water, 1 oz concentrate. Since it is Splenda we did what the directions said and topped off to 32oz total. We also made a second batch with 20oz water, 2 3/4 cup sugar, 1 oz concentrate (which didnt require top off). The taste was basically the same so we will prob stick with splenda because of the 0 calories. Has anyone fidgeted more with the recipe, maybe tried 1.5oz concentrate? Also does anyone have some homemade recipes to make syrup I could store in 32oz like the rio stuff? I would really like to made a limeade syrup =)

What we measure affects what we do. If we have the wrong metrics, we will strive for the wrong things."
--Joseph Stiglitz

Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #187
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 64 Posts

I contacted Prairie Moon to ask the questions below:

"I am new to soda syrup use in carbonated water. I have a corny keg with 4 gallons of spring water (store bought) carbed at 30 psi. at 36 deg.f and find that it is carbed nicley. I am going to order a few flavors but before I do I have a few questions:

On a brewing forum I read that there is little "mouth feel" when using this method and it is suggested to add maltodextrine to achieve these results.

Is this something that you would condone or recomend?

If so where would it be applied ie. in the water or in the syrup?

And if so, how much in either application?"

And this was there reply:

1. I have never heard of that and have not tried it. 2. Maltodextrine is not an ingredient in any soda I have ever seen. 3. You are making soda, not beer, so it only needs the feel of carbonation. 4. I would not use it. If you choose to, let me know how it turns out.

Sincerely,

Dan
Prairie Moon

Went to the LHBS to get malto to thicken up the root beer and they recommended using lactose. I used about 0.5 lb for a 1 gallon syrup mix. It added some sweetness but worked out great.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #188
Lisn2me
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
I contacted Prairie Moon to ask the questions below:

"I am new to soda syrup use in carbonated water. I have a corny keg with 4 gallons of spring water (store bought) carbed at 30 psi. at 36 deg.f and find that it is carbed nicley. I am going to order a few flavors but before I do I have a few questions:

On a brewing forum I read that there is little "mouth feel" when using this method and it is suggested to add maltodextrine to achieve these results.

Is this something that you would condone or recomend?

If so where would it be applied ie. in the water or in the syrup?

And if so, how much in either application?"

And this was there reply:

1. I have never heard of that and have not tried it. 2. Maltodextrine is not an ingredient in any soda I have ever seen. 3. You are making soda, not beer, so it only needs the feel of carbonation. 4. I would not use it. If you choose to, let me know how it turns out.

Sincerely,

Dan
Prairie Moon

Went to the LHBS to get malto to thicken up the root beer and they recommended using lactose. I used about 0.5 lb for a 1 gallon syrup mix. It added some sweetness but worked out great.
Interesting,

I have gone through three of the 20oz bottles of Syrup 1 black cherry, 1 Cream Soda and 1 Rootbeer I added 4oz of Malto to the Rootbeer, 1 oz of Malto to the Cream Soda and none to the Black Cherry and to tell the truth I didn't have much if any of a difference in mouth feel. I may try the Lactose and see how that works but I am leaning towards brewing my own batch of rootbeer next.

BTW the 1oz pumps from Prarie Moon while nice to have a 1oz pump they leak very badly from the nozle. It got to the point that removed the pumps only use them for parties.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #189
MrMista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What was your guys' solution to the issue of the leaky 1oz pumps? Is there a better pump solution out there?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #190
FlyingDutchman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use torani pumps. They are actually 1/2 ounce pumps but you can pump it 2 times. No big deal for me. I picked them up at a World Market by us and they fit the regular size glass Torani bottles or the larger plastic ones you can get at Sams. I have refilled with all kinds of syrups: BIB Dr Pepper, soda steam, homemade, and even Torani syrups... I have never noticed them leaking, but they don't usually give you a full 1/2 ounce on the first pump after sitting for a week or so.

Quick Reply