Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #171
mappler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are still using less syrup than specified by Prarie Moon. Tom, and many of us, prefer less syrup. You may not. 4 tablespoons = 2 oz. You are using 2 oz + 16 oz water, or 2oz of syrup for an 18oz drink. Prarie Moon recommends 2 oz syrup + 10 oz water, or 2 oz for a 12 oz drink. 3 oz of syrup in an 18 oz drink would give you the same 1/6 syrup/drink ration.

This assumes you made the syrup to Prarie Moon's specs, which it sounds like you did.
-Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #172
KingPin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

So what would the appropriate ration be for a strongly flavored 16 OZ drink??? assuming I made the syrup to PM's specifications........

What we measure affects what we do. If we have the wrong metrics, we will strive for the wrong things."
--Joseph Stiglitz

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #173
mappler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They just specify a 1 / 6 ratio. So, for 16 oz that would be 2.6 oz of syrup, and then filled up with carbonated water. If you want more flavor, I would us 3-3.5 oz.

-Matt

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #174
FTJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcweb View Post
Check out http://sweetzfree.com/ for what is basically liquid Splenda. It sounds expensive at $64 for 4 oz, but that is equal to 96 cups of sugar and goes a long way. For example I use only 2 drops for a 16 oz glass of iced tea.
Hey jtcweb (or anyone with an opinion) I see references to folks saying Ezsweetz is cheaper than Sweetzfree. I notice the Ezsweetz site shows the 2 oz bottle makes 10 lbs of sugar equivalent and costs $13. So the 10 lbs is roughly 18 cups which seems to cost a little more than Sweetzfree. But there's also a concentrated form of Ezsweetz that costs $22 for 1.5 oz which supposedly makes roughly about 26 cups so about the same price point as the more diluted version.

Anyone have any experience with both and can offer an opinion? I am still struggling with how much PM concentrate and sweetner to use in a 30 oz bottle of carbonated water especially when based on "drops". I use 2 teaspoons of PM concentrate and around 20 drops of the concentrated Ezsweetz but I'm at a loss as to how much that actually is sugar equivalent wise. Supposedly that would be around 3 quarters of a cup of sugar as they claim 6 drops is a quarter cup equivalent but that seems like alot.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #175
mugzz819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymoose
Has anyone tried using Torani syrups? They come in tons of flavors, and I have easy access to them. Will they work with this soda water method?
I used to work for a coffee shop that put them over ice and added seltzer water...it's not quite like the soda we're used to but it was tasty. I think they called them Italian sodas but not sure about any authenticity behind that.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #176
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugzz819 View Post
I used to work for a coffee shop that put them over ice and added seltzer water...it's not quite like the soda we're used to but it was tasty. I think they called them Italian sodas but not sure about any authenticity behind that.
Having lived in Italy: no, I don't believe there's much authenticity behind that. Unless it's a regional thing somewhere I didn't stay.

Typically an "Italian" soda is a "less sweet" soda than what you would find elswhere. Which I guess may be authentic, as Italians don't tend to prefer things as sweet as Americans. If you want a frame of reference, buy yourself some San Pellegrino Chinotto.

I've used the Monin syrups and was very pleased with the results. They're targeted at the same market as Torani and are very similar.

The Granny Smith Apple makes a great soda that tastes like an exact match to the Jones Green Apple soda.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #177
Lisn2me
Recipes 

Great thread.
Now that I have my Kegerator my Family wants Soda so I ordered some PM concentrate earlier this week. Reading through this I will need to start carbing the Water today if I want it ready for the 4th, we do a big shin dig with a great fireworks show at the end and soda on tap would be a good addition for the kids and adults that don’t partake in my beers.

For those that are using maltrodextrin in your syrup, how much are you adding to the concentrate? I like the idea of additional mouth feel but not too much.

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #178
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Tried reading every page of this thread to find the answer to my question but couldn't isolate it.

If I want to make 5 gallons of this for precarbed soda how much of the 4 oz bottle should I use? I have been using other brands but most don't knock my socks off as one poster said so I am wanting to try something new and also try using a sugar alternative like splenda or nutra sweet. Can anyone recommend which might be the best alternative to sugar to use?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #179
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Yeah about an ounce of syrup makes 16 ounces of soda... it will be to flavor of course so your mileage may vary. I wish the pumps had a bigger draw on them but sixteen isn't as much work as it sounds, lol.
As stated in the thread, it's flavored to taste but a good starting point is right here 1:16 so using that ratio you would need 40 ounces of syrup for 5 gallons (640 oz) of water. So 10 4 oz bottles, or you could get a bigger one

Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #180
adivito
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteek View Post
As stated in the thread, it's flavored to taste but a good starting point is right here 1:16 so using that ratio you would need 40 ounces of syrup for 5 gallons (640 oz) of water. So 10 4 oz bottles, or you could get a bigger one

This is incorrect because you have to figure the concentrate ratio first. (19 oz water & 2 3/4 lb sugar) 1 oz of that concentrate is what you are referencing so its not 40 oz.

Quick Reply