Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #101
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sounds similar to dissolving a gelatin. I would imagine once it is dissolved in water and stabilized it shouldn't fall back out. My next keg I might just throw the whole 5 gals on the burner, bring it to a roll and dissolve about a pound into it before carbing. Be interesting to see the difference.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #102
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not to stop you, but that sounds like overkill... and an extra kilowatt hour to heat up that water just to cool it back down.

I create hyposaturated salt solutions for brining all the time by boiling a very small amount compared to the final brine volume and never have anything fall out. MD seems even less likely to fall out.

I will say it was impressive to see how much the MD gelled the small boil volume though. (FWIW, I felt it was fairly important to get that small boil into the overall volume prior to it cooling, as that might cause a problem.)

Let us know what ratio you use too, I'm curious about using a little more than the .5lbs/4gal.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #103
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The clumping from inadequately dissolved MD was the problem I had, as mentioned in your other thread. I still think that it should work well in a pump bottle. Though I'd probably advise not going thicker than chocolate syrup. (Req high viscosity pump, as per earlier post).

I expect more work though. Syrup & a bit of carbonated water, stir, then the rest of the water.

Though if the water viscosity is fine based on doing this with all sodas, sounds good.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #104
mrgreen4242
Recipes 

How's the cola from this company? Does it taste closest to coke ore pepsi? I'm almost done with my keezer and I've planned room for a soda water keg and want to have syrup for a few flavors (and probably have some gin and rum in a pump bottle, too ). Hoping to add the second reg and faucet later this summer or fall. Thanks for the idea!

Primary: None
Secondary: None
Kegged: Jack the Ripper London Ale Redux, Blue Moon Clone
Bottled: Must-Go APA, Mint Chocolate Stout
All gone: Jack the Ripper London Ale, Silver Dollar Cream Ale, Graff, Strawberry Wheat, "777" Rye IPA, Pomegranate Pilsner, Deer Camp Ice American Ale (19% ABV), Cream of Three Crops Ale, Pumpkin Spice Ale
Up Next: Something like Aprihop and/or Magic Hat #9

Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #105
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, I just noticed a layer of mold growing in my root beer syrup pump bottle... I guess I was a little naive to think that a mixture of sugar and water would keep for very long at room temp on top of the kegerator. (I also didn't go through it nearly as fast as I figured I would.)

I think storing my large pump bottles in the fridge will cause at least one frown from you-know-who.. maybe I'll just find a smaller bottle option. (FYI, can't store them in the kegerator... too cramped already.

Anyone have other storage methods & containers or experience with keeping syrups stable at room temps?

BTW, Mr. Green - I hadn't tried the cola at all, but now that I've added the Maltodextrin to the setup, it will be on my next order.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #106
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah that is why I keep mine in the fridge and mine are sugar free. I can't see the sugar version lasting very long outside the fridge without picking up bugs and mold.

I'm not sure if there is any way to store it at room temp. Even in sealed bottles you'd get mold since every time you opened it you would be exposing it to air again.

As for the cola... I like it but, again, mine is sugar free so has a different flavor.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #107
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

preservatives or refridgeration. Citric acid or sodium benzoate or Potassium Sorbate? (I'm mostly thinking about what Torani uses for their syrups)

Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #108
ratfarmer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone tried the 1ounce metered caps that they have in some bars? Sounds like it would sure beat doing 16 pumps!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #109
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I purchased their [prarie moon's] larger pumps which draw 1 ounce - it was very convenient, until I ran into my mold issue... :/ the pumps are a little large for the fridge, unfortunately. I'm still brainstorming on my go-forward plan.

Do you mean the 1-oz meter pour spouts to go on top of liquor bottles? Or something else?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #110
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

While the concentrates certainly are yummy, they're full of propylene glycol and artificial colors. I've been wanting to make my own syrups for a while.

A few days ago I received this book for my birthday: Homemade Soda: 200 Recipes for Making & Using Fruit Sodas & Fizzy Juices, Sparkling Waters, Root Beers & Cola Brews, Herbal & Healing Waters, ... & Floats, & Other Carbonated Concoctions.

I've only tried a few recipes so far, but they were delicious. Cream soda is just vanilla and sugar water! And cherry flavoring is actually almond extract! Who knew?

Most recipes have alternate formulas for making syrups, using a soda charger, and fermenting. Definitely worth a look!

-Joe

Quick Reply