Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Super Foamy Cranberry Soda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 02:41 AM   #11
manoaction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My first batch was not overly heavy, it was almost a cross between soda and flavored seltzer. We didn't have the head problems, but I'm thinking that's because ours was thinner.

It was a huge hit and the family killed all four gallons in the first day.

They liked it so much they tried to make another batch, but it came out a little too sweet and too much lemon (they added lemon juice) for it to be called a faithful recreation.

About half of the guests liked it with a shot of cream, but you're right it would give a slight curdle to the cream. It wasn't noticeable enough to taste or feel on the mouth, but it did ever so slightly. Still, the cream flavor was nice.

My main tip for anyone else trying is to make sure you strain this through something very fine because our first batch clogged my keg and we had to dump, re-strain, and re-carb.

The family is demanding I tweak, and re-do for Christmas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Other thought about the head, I used a 10ft line and put my keg at the bottom of the basement stairs with the picnic tap at the top. I purged and lowered pressure to 10 psi when it came time to serve. Between the long line, height difference, and lowered pressure it trickled gently out of the hose, that may have had something to do with the managability of the head.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
Roach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
They liked it so much they tried to make another batch, but it came out a little too sweet and too much lemon (they added lemon juice) for it to be called a faithful recreation.

About half of the guests liked it with a shot of cream, but you're right it would give a slight curdle to the cream. It wasn't noticeable enough to taste or feel on the mouth, but it did ever so slightly. Still, the cream flavor was nice.

My main tip for anyone else trying is to make sure you strain this through something very fine because our first batch clogged my keg and we had to dump, re-strain, and re-carb.

The family is demanding I tweak, and re-do for Christmas.
Well clove and cinnamon would easily make it a more spiced drink for Christmas, but I'm thinking i'll have to work on a gingerbread soda, or something of the like.

Strain it through Cheese cloth, there will be so little particulate matter that clogging wont be an issue. Just be patient while you're straining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
Other thought about the head, I used a 10ft line and put my keg at the bottom of the basement stairs with the picnic tap at the top. I purged and lowered pressure to 10 psi when it came time to serve. Between the long line, height difference, and lowered pressure it trickled gently out of the hose, that may have had something to do with the managability of the head.
I didn't have the overcarb problem on my second batch, but my cylinder is also running under 120 psi, so that might be kinda low. Where's the best place to buy CO² in Fort Collins? (I just went to a hydroponics store, the stoners have gas on hand for growing weed.)

Last edited by Roach; 11-26-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
Roach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hope you guys don't mind me posting in a slightly older thread here, but I had an Idea.

I'll try using Flax Seed oil as an anti foaming agent. It's a low viscosity oil, and should have little to no effect on flavor or mouth feel. I'll let you know.

I still need to try cinnamon oil, but that will have a strong flavor affect.

Quick Reply