Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Soda Making (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/)
-   -   Super Foamy Cranberry Soda (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/super-foamy-cranberry-soda-282833/)

Roach 11-22-2011 11:37 PM

Super Foamy Cranberry Soda
 
I was whipping together some great seasonal sodas. A ginger beer, a pumpkin pie soda, and finally a cranberry soda.

I'll happily post about any of those later, but for now I'm in a pickle.

After chilling my brew overnight, I carbonated it with my tank/regulator combo (Not sure what y'all call that on these forums). Then upon opening it, I was graced with an ultra foamy head. So I sat 5 minutes to let it chill, but the head didn't budge. At that point I just took off the top and let the foam snake pour out of the bottle for the next 10 (No exaggerating) minutes.

My ingredients were as follows:
-Water
-Zest ~1 orange
-Juice ~1 orange
-15oz Cranberries
-simple syrup

I don't have any ideas on how to prevent this, since I simmer the berries to create the juice then carbonate that juice. Do I need to add the orange juice after? I also heard that cinnamon oil works as an anti-foaming agent. Are there any other anti-foam agents I can use in this instance?

Any help is appreciated, let me know if you have questions!

EFaden 11-23-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 3509956)
I was whipping together some great seasonal sodas. A ginger beer, a pumpkin pie soda, and finally a cranberry soda.

I'll happily post about any of those later, but for now I'm in a pickle.

After chilling my brew overnight, I carbonated it with my tank/regulator combo (Not sure what y'all call that on these forums). Then upon opening it, I was graced with an ultra foamy head. So I sat 5 minutes to let it chill, but the head didn't budge. At that point I just took off the top and let the foam snake pour out of the bottle for the next 10 (No exaggerating) minutes.

My ingredients were as follows:
-Water
-Zest ~1 orange
-Juice ~1 orange
-15oz Cranberries
-simple syrup

I don't have any ideas on how to prevent this, since I simmer the berries to create the juice then carbonate that juice. Do I need to add the orange juice after? I also heard that cinnamon oil works as an anti-foaming agent. Are there any other anti-foam agents I can use in this instance?

Any help is appreciated, let me know if you have questions!

Not sure.. by tagging since I am interested.

Yooper 11-23-2011 01:47 AM

Soda requires a pretty high psi to get the level of carbonation commonly wanted in soda. As a result, it requires some long dispensing like, like 25 feet of 3/16" tubing. Also, if you made it yesterday, and it's too foamy today, I wonder if it was carbed at a very high psi, perhaps with shaking?, and as a result is overcarbed and foamy.

Roach 11-23-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper (Post 3510327)
Soda requires a pretty high psi to get the level of carbonation commonly wanted in soda. As a result, it requires some long dispensing like, like 25 feet of 3/16" tubing. Also, if you made it yesterday, and it's too foamy today, I wonder if it was carbed at a very high psi, perhaps with shaking?, and as a result is overcarbed and foamy.

Yep, I was at about 50psi, and I shook for about 10 seconds.

That's how I do ALL of my soda, and it's never done this. My issue is with how long the foam stays around. There's a normal amount of COČ discharged in every soda I make, but this time that's normal discharge is turning into a thick froth that doesn't disappear.

It's funny the me that most people WANT head on soda, but this one is so heady it's RUINING my recipe.

manoaction 11-23-2011 09:57 PM

Roach! I read this this morning and thought I needed to steal it.

I'm now half way through the process, I doubled what you had there, but I was curious about your ratios for simple syrup, and how big a batch you were expecting this to yield.

I also just noticed that you're from Fort Collins, hello from the West Side. :)

manoaction 11-23-2011 09:58 PM

Also, do you have thoughts on citric acid? The few sodas I've tried generally call for it. Is this taken care of by the orange juice?

What about spices?

manoaction 11-24-2011 06:02 AM

So I quadrupled the ingredients, boiled berries and zest into a near paste, strained into pot, rinsed again with boiling water (soda sparge :)).

Then added simple syrup and water up to 4 gallons. The keg is pressured 40 and was shook regularly and it's sitting outside chilling for tomorrow. I'll let you know the reception.

I'm thinking about serving with a dash of heavy whipping cream in the glass.

Yooper 11-24-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manoaction (Post 3513846)
So I quadrupled the ingredients, boiled berries and zest into a near paste, strained into pot, rinsed again with boiling water (soda sparge :)).

Then added simple syrup and water up to 4 gallons. The keg is pressured 40 and was shook regularly and it's sitting outside chilling for tomorrow. I'll let you know the reception.

I'm thinking about serving with a dash of heavy whipping cream in the glass.

Wow- that sounds good!

Roach 11-24-2011 03:37 PM

I would skip the creme, there's real cirtus in there' and since it's raw, your milk will curdle, but that's your choice. It could still be good.

I serve my pumpkin with cream though, if people want.

My syrup is always a 2:1 (Boil till clear method). Since I mix my syrup in when it's cold, I don't want it too think. And 2:1 doesn't occupy much space in my 2 liters.

This is a batch for just a 2 liter PET bottle. though you could stretch it to about 4. But I like to make my sodas SUPER strong for sipping. It's just my style to make a soda that's a slow drinker. I'm sober so it's great for environments where others are drinking.

The acid IS taken care of by the orange juice, but the great orange aromatic comes from the zest, or course. I've got citric acid in my amazon cart right now, I'm excited ti experiment with it (Unless I can but it at a shop in town).

This was a dual fruit drink, so I achieved my desired flavor complexity. The first spices I would add if I HAD TO would be; Clove or Cinnamon.

And The head of this soda being SO HEAVY. You can easily fresh grate (Or sprinkle) some cinnamon on top for a nice sexy finish.

Be careful when boiling a zest, you'll start loosing flavor after approx 45mins depending on your simmering temp. Sparging! Thanks so much!

I would love to take a sip, if you're willing, send me a PM and I'll come have a taste before my festivities start for the day. Sorry for not quoting your topics, I didn't want the post to be EVEN longer!

blairlockout 11-25-2011 08:56 AM

Wow that sounds awesome. I'll have to try that!


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.