Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Splenda to sweeten - still dangerous?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
kunstler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Splenda to sweeten - still dangerous?

So I was going to make my father 2 full cases or root beer for christmas.

He used to make it all the time when he was in his 20s but since then lost the cellaring space that kept his bottle cool and not AS dangerous due to the colder temps (plus it was the 80s and he lived reckless back then)

The thought of giving him a bunch of 20oz plastic bottles or 2L bottles - not very appealing - I want to give him glass bottles...

If I use Splenda (not the 50/50 splenda sugar mix, but actually 100% splenda) and then add a small amount of sugar (my concentrate I have has a recipe for low cal soda and uses some to carb) can I bottle condition in the glass and let it sit at room temps without the risk of root beer grenades?

my theory is that the yeast will only eat the sugar (table sugar) and then there will be nothing left for them to consume and with the right amount of sugar I'll have the right amount carbonation and no risk of having him drink the 2 cases over a period of a month or so.

I would love to keg, carb, and fill bottles with a beer gun but that is not an option at the moment. And going out and buying 12 carbonator caps is not appealing either...any thoughts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I don't think Splenda is fermentable. I believe your idea should work.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. I think it will work fine. But if you wanted to use a carbonator cap you should only need one and just move it from bottle to bottle replacing with a real cap as you go.

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Splenda has no carbohydrates, so it won't ferment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The back of the packets of Splenda and generic-branded "sucralose" all say that it contains Dextrose... and obviously Dextrose is almost fully fermentable...

Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It depends on which form of Splenda you get. Some have dextrose, some don't. "No carbohydrates" means less than a gram per serving. A cup of the form with dextrose has about 28 gm of dextrose, which wouldn't even get the carbonation started, much less be a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the dextrose in splenda is a trace amount used as an anti-caking agent. not enough sugar to worry about..

Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
robertjohnson
Recipes 

I've tried this before and it didn't really work for me, but I think it's because I screwed up my math. I was thinking of using cooper's carb tabs and then adding champagne yeast directly to each bottle. Then I could just add in any mixture I wanted. I was thinking of trying to make a dry soda using this method, maybe boiling some fir needles in some water and adding the mixture to the bottles?

Quick Reply