Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > SodaStream type all natural syrups

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
CelticHeather
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SodaStream type all natural syrups

Hi there,

I have a Soda Stream machine, but I don't like some of the ingredients in the soda syrups (plus, they are quite overpriced for their tiny size). I'd like to find some alternatives syrups or to make my own.

Can anyone recommend an all natural syrup or direct me to some recipes?

(I did check out the Pittsburg soda shop website, but it looks like they use alot of artificial flavors)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 56

No idea if these are any good, but a Google search for "organic soda syrup" turned this up:

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=63

Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
vtbiscuit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My wife and I have been trying some recipes from the book "Homemade Soda" by Schloss and have really liked them. A couple of the recipes were featured in BYO this summer as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Soda-.../dp/1603427961

Dave
Spaceman Brewing
Facebook | Twitter | BUZZ Homebrew Club

Old 08-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was just thinking of that book as well. It's been on quite a few food sites and someone from this forum was talking to the author to talk about scaling recipes.

In general though, some recipes are easier than others. For example hibiscus syrup is just hibiscus palps, sugar, water and some lemon juice (or other citric acid). I keep mine in the fridge and kinda got tired of it so I just used it to make ice cream a few days ago.

Ginger soda of which several versions is slightly more complicated, only in that it has a few more ingredients. Ginger, spices, lime/zest, sugar, water.

If you're thinking of a cola, look at open cola. To me, it's not worth the effort, to get the 8-15 different ingredients that are only used for this syrup, which are all extracts.

If you're looking at fruit ones, I think the best option tends to be to macerate some fruit in the fridge and put in cups to serve then pour over some carbonated water.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
CelticHeather
Recipes 

Oh, thanks, I'll look for that book!

I did find the nature's flavors site, but I found alot of really negative reviews about their customer service so I've been hesitant to try them out. Pity, since the ingredients look really good. (Maybe I'll give them a try anyway.)

I probably won't bother with colas- I'm more interested in ginger ales, rootbeers, and orange sodas. (Eventually I do want to try to brew some, but my husband won't let me use his beer system so I need to get the equipment!)

Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The soda stream syrups are concentrated, which is why they seem so tiny, but compare the price to a regular syrup and you might find they're comparable to something like Monin or Torani. I'd guess that the ingredients you don't like are the artificial sweeteners which are what makes it so they can sell such a concentrated syrup in a small size.

If you're looking for something natural, it's probably going to be just as expensive as the soda stream stuff when you compare cost of finished soda. But if you insist on natural, iyou could try contacting P&H. I know t's not at all in your area, but It looks like they're growing so you may soon be able to order online.

Your best bet for cost savings and natural is just a DIY.Homemade soda syrups are super easy. Sugar+water+flavor and you're good to go!

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan of those Sodastream syrups anyway as even the non-diet ones use artificial sweeteners. They do now have an all natural brand but flavours are limited.

I use Monin syrups to make italian sodas. Torani makes a similar product but I like the Monin flavours a bit better. They have lots of different flavours so you could make just about any type of soda you like, including some really obscure ones.

What I do is carbonate the water in the 1 litre bottle and then add 2 ounces (or to your taste) of syrup to the bottle, cap it and then give it a few turns to mix. My girlfriend likes orange but I'll usually mix one ounce of orange and one ounce of vanilla to make a creamsicle. I make a great chocolate soda using these syrups as well. Add a splash of vodka, if you like.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 for Monin! I spent a couple years in Sicily, and theirs is the only Blood Orange flavor that truly reminds me of real, Sicilian, bleed all over your hands, drippy blood oranges.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like both Monin and Torani for storebought syrups, but it comes down to what is cheapest and most available in the area. Unfortunately, the Monin syrups are not as available to me as the Torani syrups. I'd have to online source Monin, except for the basic flavors of vanilla, hazelnut and raspberry.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could also try Prairie Moon concentrated syrups. I use them for yeast carbonated bottled soda. You can order them online and because they come in a 4 oz concentrate, they're not terribly expensive to ship. Because you mix your own sugar and water you can control the sugar content and make it to your taste. There's a recent thread in this forum about them.

http://www.prairiemoon.biz/Syrup-Con...ist_c_553.html

Quick Reply