Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Soda Stream

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have both, a Sodastream with the co2 doctor adapter to use paintball tanks and a kegging system with several carbonator caps. I use the Sodastream daily. It's much easier than using the carbonator caps and SWMBO let's me leave it on the counter. I use the carbonator caps whenever I brew a fresh batch of beer, cider or hard lemonade to force carb a 2 liter bottle or smaller bottles for friends. For me the cost of the adapter wasn't a big deal since I was given the Sodastream for Christmas and didn't pay a cent for it. $15 for 14.5 oz of co2 seemed insane to me, but $4.50 for 24 oz in a paintball tank seemed very affordable. My system holds up to a 24 oz tank inside the Sodastream housing so from the outside you have no idea that it has paintball tank inside. I loved the idea of the other adapter that allows you to use a 5# co2 tanks, but SWMBO would never allow that on the kitchen counter.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sorry, I had to fix my co2doctor link... should have been http://co2doctor.com/freedomo.htm for the simple paintjet tank substitute valve. Then you hit http://co2doctor.com/usandcanada.htm ordering page which show the huge array of other options where you can retain your sodastream tank and either fill it yourself from a bigger tank or fill it at the paintball place. But those last options seem to have a lot of pitfalls depending on your local situation. Also you can run it directly off a huge tank.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, i ordered the paintball adaptor valve. I don't suppose anyone knows what the max size paintball tank that will fit in a fizz model sodastream? By words on the site they say twelve oz... maybe playing it safe... but they seem to show a picture of my fizz with a twenty four oz paintball tank. Also that site says the sodastream tank mating seal tends to leak... do you suppose the expensive replacement sold by co.doctor is worth it to save co2?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #14
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

According to Sodastream it will use their larger tank which means it will fit at least a 20 paintball tank, more than likely it will fit the 24 oz tank as well. When you open the back where the co2 tank goes does it have a small adapter at the bottom that is removable? If you do, it will fit the larger tanks, I'm just not sure if it will fit the 24 oz or just the 20 oz.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Mash
Recipes 

Try a local Staples store for C02 refills. Around here, they
are the only place to get the larger tank size.

So am I correct in assuming that if anything other than plain
water is used to be carbonated, a huge mess is likely to be
the result?
Kind of like putting Mentos mints in soda?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #16
daft
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash View Post
So am I correct in assuming that if anything other than plain
water is used to be carbonated, a huge mess is likely to be
the result?
Well, you start by carbonating a sodastream bottle of chilled water that you filled up to a line about 85% high; there is an injector that just reaches the water. Then you add syrup and cap and give it one somersault to mix.

If you don't use their crap syrup, there is about 1/3 chance it will foam like a bomb so start unknowns over the sink. Stuff like grape concentrate and dry sugar are dangerous, especially if you unwisely carbonated to a high level.

There is one third chance that something new will start to foam, but be slow enough that you can cap it quickly and will calm down for opening if you rechill it a bit. Especially if you chilled the flavoring and poured it in really slow.

There is one third chance that it will behave nicely, then you can learn how much you can max the carbonation without trouble or with a quick grab for the cap. I find thawed concentrate pink lemonade is an well behaved and tasty example.

I think it may be intentionally rigged to be difficult if you don't use their flavors. There is barely enough room for conventional sweet flavors in that 15% headroom... no room for foam anyway. They get around this by putting half splenda (yuk) even in the non-diet sodastream flavors because it takes less room to be equally sweet. I expect it would be harder to carbonate if you kept the water level lower where the injector doesn't reach. I find switching to their optional half liter smaller bottles is easier to avoid foam... there may be more headroom percentage wise or something, but it just works better and easier for me.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
cliffhanger1821
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I dump the whole bottle of concentrate into my keg along with 3gallons of water. Works great and for big parties I have room for other ingredients (rum and coke on tap, anyone?)

Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger1821
I dump the whole bottle of concentrate into my keg along with 3gallons of water. Works great and for big parties I have room for other ingredients (rum and coke on tap, anyone?)
I thought about buying one of their dr pepper mixes and doing this You can only make three gallons at a time? Not the whole five gallons? What psi do yo carb at?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
cliffhanger1821
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

When I add liquor it is three gallons water, one soda stream bottle, and two 1.75 liter bottles of whatever liquor I am adding. I think it makes a little more than 4 gallons at about 7.5% alcohol, using about 40 proof liquor if my calcs are correct

Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #20
cliffhanger1821
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Carb at 25#

Quick Reply