Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Soda siphon without disposable cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #41
zorcy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure if this link will post, I am still just a junior member.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R35XKX1...videoPreplay=1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #42
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are the man! Brilliant, simply brilliant. Now the only thing he forgot to mention was the tip of the gun and what it's called. Im going to go ahead and try and message him if I can but in the meantime if anyone sees the video can they please elaborate on the setup of the gun? thanks

P.S. He states the 12 gram co2 cartridges actually fit but they release more co2 than necessary, I guess that question got solved!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #43
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

That seems to be a good idea. I see what looks like air hose connections you can get at your local hardware store. So pricewise, assuming all you have is a co2 tank and nothing else. It looks like the end is just a typical barbed connector.
60 for a soda regulator (beer regulator won't work in this situation, unless you pressurize, shake, pressurize, etc)
60 for a seltzer bottle (isi brushed aluminum 1-liter seltzer bottle)
estimating 20-40 for the connector pieces (based on prior piping purchases for other reasons).
-ball lock (actually called a quick connect fitting) 5
-ball lock connectors 3
-shutoff valve (10)
-brass barbed fitting (5)

Admittedly, the price is still pretty high for me, and even though I have that seltzer bottle and even the co2 tank, I'd probably buy the cap for $15 or a used keg for $40.

Because of this, I'm curious, why do you want to go through all the trouble and expense? It sounds like you don't already have a seltzer bottle (I thought you did based on an earlier post) and any co2 loss of repeated opening of a plastic 2 liter is pennies. If I ran a black tie bar, I'd use this setup in the back and use the seltzer bottles during serving. Other than, just maybe you're an engineer and want to find a way, simply because there should be some way.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #44
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't really know to be honest, it's something that I can see myself using it as something useful in some scenarios over the 2L PET bottles.

- I ran out of PET bottles (as its unwise to keep using the same plastic over long periods of time) and I won't plan on buying any PET bottles since ill be making my own soda.
- Take the seltzer with me camping, people tend to leave the bottle cap left opened and therefore it becomes flat (this is a general idea but a factual one)
- (This is an important one), every drip of water is carbonated to it's fullest, where-as the PET bottle it gradually loses CO2 in the opening and closing of the bottle.
- Aluminum can tend to leave it running colder in room temperature dining room whereas PET bottle can possible get warmer alot quicker.
- Can be used as a secondary unit in case I ever break my carbonator cap.
- And it looks alot nicer in top of my dinner table instead of a PET bottle.

Might sound silly, and they are probably are but whether it's useful or not it's definately a better alternative to a sodastream and I'm sure people who have converted from the sodastream to co2 tank are probably still happy owners of their tucked-away sodastream somewhere.

P.S So just to clarify, it's just a typical barbed connector? By typical you mean standard? what is the standard? You would be pretty surprised here in Oshawa the word "typical" is anything but typical. Thanks Kevin

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #45
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Okay. I'm going with the engineering "Because I can (and it's really not that expensive if you have most of the parts)." I definitely agree with the co2 loss with the pet bottle, which is why I like that upside down, ball lock idea. Still trying to figure out how I want to make it look, (just so it doesn't look like an upside down bottle, or a oversized hummingbird feeder). And also looks (which is why I want it not to look like a humming bird feeder on a block of wood.)
I usually buy a bottle of soda water just for the bottle and reuse that for a while and replace.
I'd argue about the temperature due to the better thermal conductivity of thick aluminum (it's not double wall insulated so heat goes through to the water pretty quickly) vs thin plastic wall thickness as an insulator since that gets iffy and would require research.

That's true too, that even with this build, you can bring along a paintball tank and regulator camping. You'll want a regular paintball tank regulator and you can hook that directly to the hose and valve assembly. (That way, you also don't have to use it with your regular tank.) I don't go camping and I have that 2.5 pound tank that travels well. In any instance where hiking/camping would be involved, you'd really want light.

As for me, I'd probably build that and use it with my isi whipped cream chargers more than my soda siphon. I'd need an N2O tank though, and I don't know the feasibility of getting one... but.... if I could, then I could experiment more with espumas and whipped creams without feeling like I'm wasting cartridges. Going to start seeing what it would require for a small tank, or if that's possible.

When I mean typical, I mean that it's a barbed connector that you should be able to find in the plumbing or air compressor section of the hardware store. I couldn't tell the diameter, but I don't expect that you would have to order the parts online. It's helpful to have a bigbox store though, rather than a tiny hardware store.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #46
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok thanks for the information, the hunting begins!

P.S. Forgot to mention the most important recipe of all for the use of seltzer bottle, and that is to make cocktails!!! nothing beats a freshly forced water sprayer when adding it to the liquor!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #47
TheKeggingPart
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry to be so late to the party but there is now a solution to the OP's question. Those ICI Soda Siphons happen to have the same threading as keg couplers. This allows me to attach a gas-side Kegging Part. I've been using it pretty regularly to mix up batches of soda in my soda siphon.

I'm very wary of the "jam it in" solution. I'd hate to see one of these things blow up on someone. I've found that the check valve in the soda siphon needs at least 20 lbs of pressure on it to allow gas through. I tried removing / disabling it and succeeded. Only occasionally my siphon's gasket now slips and sends a stream of liquid out near the top. It's better not to mess with such things. The soda comes out fizzier if it's 50 - 100 PSI anyway. I prefer 50 but one of my friends was adamant that anything under 100 was a waste of their time.

Here's a picture of The Kegging Part in action:

siphon.jpg  

Quick Reply