Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Soda siphon without disposable cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
KevinM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are some (usually portable) keg dispensing systems that take larger co2 cartridges. It takes either 12 or 16g from what I recall. Actually, on the website, they show some above the picture of the 12g cartridge along with the cartridges. They kind of look like a handheld bike pump. Also on the site is a larger variation.
The tip is different sizes, yes, but I'm not sure if that matters as much as cartridge diameter. I don't know about your seltzer siphon, but the isi's I have have a good amount of tip room and the needle in the center.

You can see that the adapter covers the 8g cartridge so it fits in a 12g holder without slipping. It's that much bigger that I'm not sure an 8g holder works. I don't know if they have one that makes a 12g cartridge fit an 8g holder. Plus, you're going to have to cut away some of the recepticle thread so that air line fits in.

Yes, many of us do use a keg for carbonated water. And, kind of... lets say that the keg is full of water, a tiny bit of airspace between the liquid and lid (termed headspace) and carbonated to 40psi and then you either turn off the gas or disconnect the gas line. Then when you dispense, it acts like a seltzer bottle. The water is dispensed, pushed by the pressure in the keg. However, the increase in headspace means that carbon dioxide exits the water. Eventually the pressure in the headspace starts to drop and the water/beer/etc starts getting flat. This is why you keep adding co2 to a keg either during dispensing or after since the additional co2 will fill the headspace and keep the co2 in the liquid. Usually you won't notice this with a seltzer bottle since there's so little volume that a person goes through it quickly.

I don't have a splitter for my kegs, so I just add co2 every so often and then disconnect the hose. For example, I was bottling beer from a keg yesterday. The beer's headspace started at around 15psi and after 8 bottles, the psi was down to 5, which I noticed because the beer wasn't flowing as fast. I added some co2 to bring it back to 10-15 and kept bottling. I do the same thing with my carbonated water when I have people over.

Eventually I'll get the rest of the parts to have a gas line on the kegs all the time.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Kool I didn't know a keg can act as a seltzer thats good to know. Would I shake the keg like I would with a PET bottle to get the co2 in the liquid much faster or is it best to rock it back and forth for a bit and let it rest?

Old 08-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Some of the threads go into further discussion, but I shake the keg if I'm in a hurry (need it in 10 minutes for example). Otherwise I just keep it in the fridge and put 40-60 psi into the keg every few hours until it's carbed at 40. (cause it's a pain lifting 5 gallons of liquid if I don't need to.) When it's empty, I take it out, rinse it, put it back into my fridge and run a hose (3/8" dia tubing) from the sink to the keg to refill it so I can avoid doing the 5 gallon lift.

Take a look at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/two-...-rocks-198326/ Tom mentions that he has 2 kegs, one fully carbed, the other in the process of carbing and alternates. I have a beer, a cider, another beer and the water or some variant of cider, beer, wine, mead, sake and water, so I just use one.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #24
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Im going to try something next week, let me know if you think it can work.

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas like and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

I assume if the clamp is tight enough to be tightened along a threaded valve Im sure it can be tight enough into the co2 cartridge? And heck, even if it leaks just a tiny bit, im only needing 8grams of co2 anyways.

Let me know if you think this might work, and if it's worth a try? If so i will post some pics (and maybe videos) and show ya. Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #25
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas like and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

I assume if the clamp is tight enough to be tightened along a threaded valve Im sure it can be tight enough into the co2 cartridge? And heck, even if it leaks just a tiny bit, im only needing 8grams of co2 anyways.

Let me know if you think this might work, and if it's worth a try? If so i will post some pics (and maybe videos) and show ya. Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #26
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #27
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #28
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #29
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #30
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas line and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

Quick Reply