Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Soda siphon without disposable cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
logank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Soda siphon without disposable cartridges

Sorry if this is a duplicate but I didn't find anything with a quick search of the old threads. I've been looking at soda siphons and systems like the Sodastream to make small amounts of things like tonic and ginger beer, but my hesitation is the co2 cartridges. Since I have a co2 tank for kegging, it seems like a waste to have to buy disposable cartridges for each use of a soda siphon, or the expensive refills for the Sodastream. Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Refillable small cartridges for a siphon would be ideal, but I've done some looking around and it seems like this hasn't really been accomplished for a moderate price.

Thanks for any ideas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
logank
Recipes 

I haven't, but that seems like it could be a good option. I'll do some looking into it, thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup, best $15 item for carbonating. If you want to go cheaper, you build a cap using tire valves and a tire filler. I'm lazy and like to keep the ball lock on my gas line so I use the premade cap and a 2 liter, 8 oz or 12 oz bottle.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
logank
Recipes 

Yeah, I saw some of the DIY options, but for the ease of quickly disconnecting the ball lock from on of the kegs and hooking it straight to the bottle, I think I can manage the $15.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
MagicMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I would still like to see a reply to the OP's regard to his question, because I am interested as well. I find the siphon is ideal for zero loss of carbonation when I'm on the go. Is it even possible????

Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

We answered as we did since the op was looking for an inexpensive option using a co2 tank and not buying other equipment. We also assumed home use, not travel. By only buying the one carbonator cap, it would be more cost effective than a new sodastream or seltzer bottle.

Sodastream; you could potentially use an adapter to either refill a tank, or to use the larger tank as the co2 source.

Cartidges. Ive not seen refillable cartridges and the only refiller that was out for a while would wind up wasting co2 anyways, since it encased a special cartridge and you had to pressurize the entire unit to some high psi. Ive been looking since I do have a seltzer bottle from ISI that uses 12g cartridges. Its easier to bring a 2.5# co2 tank, regulator and cap sometimes.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
zorcy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default CO2 Cartridge

Have you thought about using a used cartridge, tapping it and connecting a line? You may have to "customize" the Sodastream for the hose, but it should not be to much.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorcy View Post
Have you thought about using a used cartridge, tapping it and connecting a line? You may have to "customize" the Sodastream for the hose, but it should not be to much.
I have actually been looking at this too since I was also interested in an actual soda siphon. I pretty much came to the conclusion that you would have to modify a cartridge and the cartridge holder to be able to do it. The way I have seen discussed was basically drilling and tapping an existing cartridge. Never actually seen someone do it though.

For the soda stream I found http://co2doctor.com/.... it seems a bit expensive though. They have both a refill adapter, and an actual adapter + regulator to connect a real CO2 tank to a sodastream. I think they run in the $100 range and actually include a custom made adapter.... I haven't tried this either due to the cost. (and my existing setup with a carbonator and keg in the fridge).

Curious if people found others.

-Eric

-Eric

Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
zorcy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Something that is already out there, is IZH Drozd Bulk-Fill Adapter. I just googled co2 airsoft adapter and looked for the cartridge with a hose on it. They make them for paintball as well.

Quick Reply