The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Soda Preservation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Dr Vorlauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Soda Preservation

I have never made a soda but since the wife bought me a kegging system for fathers day , I want to give it a shot.

Basically I will do a strong ginger beer Jamaican style with some ginseng. Aside from the obvious and normal sanitation how do you keep the sugar in the soda from being infected by bacteria and yeast ? I do have access to food grade sodium benzoate but would hate to add this to my soda.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Last edited by Dr Vorlauf; 07-07-2008 at 12:59 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
newell456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf View Post
I have never made a soda but since the wife bought me a kegging system for fathers day , I want to give it a shot.

Basically I will do a strong ginger beer Jamaican style with some ginseng. Aside from the obvious and normal sanitation how do you keep the sugar in the soda from being infected by bacteria and yeast ? I do have access to food grade sodium benzoate but would hate to add this to my soda.
If you want, you can mix the sugar with water and boil it to be sure. From there on, the sealed keg or bottles and co2 will help it to stay fresh longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply