The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > soda not carbonating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #11
funkadelicturkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

Default the yeast are ALIVE!!!

Concerned that the yeast may be dead. I tested a sample of my rootbeer. Huston we have growth!!!

Pelleted the cells in about 10 mL of the root beer. Resuspended the cells in YEPD and steaked on YEPD agar plates.

So... sugar - check, Yeast - check. Only thing I can think of is the temperature is not up to par for the yeast. My digital thermostat says the brew closet is at 70 F but perhaps it is just not cutting it...I put a bigger heater heater in the closet and cranked the temperature up to 80 F.

It is warm in the closet and I think I am seeing small bubbles rising.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Zulu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Something is just not working for me.

I have tried to make soda in some 2L bottles twice now, and no carbonation. I tried to go simple to start, just wanted to show the kids how it worked.

Ginger ale was made with sugar, lemon juice, ginger and some fleishman's yeast. When that didn't take off, I figured maybe it was something to do with the yeast (though I doubt it, it's working fine in the breadmaker) so with the rootbeer I used some extract and a half packet of Nottingham. 30h later, nothing.

I'm just putting the ingredients in the bottle, capping and leaving. Am I missing something???

I grew up making Ginger Beer this way.

We used an old recipe my grandmother used.

5 Liters warm water, 2KG Sugar, 3 teaspoons Ginger Powder and some grated real ginger. We use about 1/2 teaspoon bread Yeast, and added two handfuls of raisins

Mixed all together in a bowl and let stand overnight covered... then bottled next day and you can see that yeast is woking as Raisins swell up, let stand for 24 -48 hours on kitchen counter and then refrigerate. Drink as wanted.

Our Hops Farm Blog
http://zenzele-brewery.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply