Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > soda not carbonating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Guinness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default soda not carbonating

Something is just not working for me.

I have tried to make soda in some 2L bottles twice now, and no carbonation. I tried to go simple to start, just wanted to show the kids how it worked.

Ginger ale was made with sugar, lemon juice, ginger and some fleishman's yeast. When that didn't take off, I figured maybe it was something to do with the yeast (though I doubt it, it's working fine in the breadmaker) so with the rootbeer I used some extract and a half packet of Nottingham. 30h later, nothing.

I'm just putting the ingredients in the bottle, capping and leaving. Am I missing something???

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I've made rootbeer using 2L bottles, it's always taken them about a week to become firm. That's when you know they're ready and you stick it in the fridge at that point.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

From what I have read, you need to use a wine yeast such as Pasteur Champagne from Red Star or Lalvin EC-1118. Ale yeast is often used in homemade soda and this might improve your results.

Allow the mixture of your water, sugar and flavorings to sit at room temperature for a day or two to get the yeast going, then bottle. This is when the carbonation begins. Allow several days to cabonate. Squeeze the bottles to confirm it is working and if it gets to hard, release some of the pressure and then tighten the cap back up. Loads of information available if you google "Homemade Soda"

Good luck.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Last edited by bmckee56; 11-08-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, thanks all.

Everything I read said it would be done in 24-48h.

Looking at it now, I can see a few small bubbles starting. I guess it just took a while to get rolling.

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4279 Times on 3118 Posts
Likes Given: 825

The warmer the temperature, the faster it'll carb up. so, if it's cool in your house it'll take longer. Place them in a warm place and check them every 12-24 hours (so they don't get too hard too quickly and explode!).

Old 03-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

Default More carbonation problems

While my mead and barely secondary away. I decided to try to make some soda, i figured I'd start off easy and use an extract for birch beer since I am a fan. All went well and I bottled most of it in glass except for one plastic coke bottle to gauge when carbonation was complete. After 3 days no firmness to the bottle so I took one of the glass bottles in fridge chilled, carefully opened listening for the reassuring pfsst. Nothing... 2 more days... same thing with another bottle. Brew closet is at about 75 degrees, I have been shaking the bottles to get the (redstar champagne)yeast deposits back in solution, it looks like there is a healthy amount settling out but no carbonation. I thought only waiting for beer to carbonate took patience, the instructions (which I followed to the T) that came with the kit indicated that it would take a day or two. Now its going on a week and I want to drink some carbonated birch beer

Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey View Post
While my mead and barely secondary away. I decided to try to make some soda, i figured I'd start off easy and use an extract for birch beer since I am a fan. All went well and I bottled most of it in glass except for one plastic coke bottle to gauge when carbonation was complete. After 3 days no firmness to the bottle so I took one of the glass bottles in fridge chilled, carefully opened listening for the reassuring pfsst. Nothing... 2 more days... same thing with another bottle. Brew closet is at about 75 degrees, I have been shaking the bottles to get the (redstar champagne)yeast deposits back in solution, it looks like there is a healthy amount settling out but no carbonation. I thought only waiting for beer to carbonate took patience, the instructions (which I followed to the T) that came with the kit indicated that it would take a day or two. Now its going on a week and I want to drink some carbonated birch beer
ok, stupid question on my part..... but I gotta ask, did you remember to add the sugar?

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

yep, 8 cups for 4 gallons...I followed the instructions very closely. Week one, no carbonation...I am still remaining hopeful.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only thing I can think of would be bad yeast.

Fermenting
Primary - none

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

It may be the yeast but i've used redstar champagne yeast a few times (to make apfelwien) no problems, this packet had an expiration date of 3/2011. it looks like it is slowly making little bubbles. Maybe next time I'll proof it before I pitch it. This time I just hydrated it...

Quick Reply