Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Soda Help - Natural Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
UtahNate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Soda Help - Natural Carbonation

Anyone here making soda using yeast for carbonation?

Ultimately I'd like to get a setup where I can force carb sodas, but for now I'm using yeast. My question is what yeast should I be using? For my last few batches I've used champagne yeast. They've had what I can only describe as an off flavor (especially on the belch) reminiscent of paint thinner or nail polish remover. With my most recent ginger ale/beer, that flavor is almost over the top. It's still drinkable, but not particularly pleasant. I want to avoid this off flavor in the future, but would still like to go the natural carb route until I can piece together a CO2 system.

Anyone have any thoughts? They'd be much appreciated...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Crazy8
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I use yeast for my root beer. I also use the star brand champagne yeast. If you're not using Star brand champagne yeast, I would strongly recommend using it. It is very clean tasting, and works great. I use just a touch less than 1/4tsp per gallon. Hope this may help.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
UtahNate
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply, Crazy8. I've been using Red Star champagne yeast (the stuff comes in yellow sachets). Not sure if that's the brand you were talking about, but it sounds like it. I also use a bit less than 1/4 of a tsp per gallon. I've been using the smaller plastic Coke bottles (~16 oz) and also glass (gasp!) bottles and the taste has been present regardless of the vessel chosen to contain the soda. I sanitize with Star San so I don't think sanitation was an issue. I'm starting to think it was the recipe... I did use quite a bit of ginger, probably a little over a pound in a gallon batch. I <3 the ginger bite!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Crazy8
Recipes 

I'm just guessing here but yeah it could be the recipe. When i very first started I was using a bakers yeast, then I tried Coopers and 2 other brewing yeasts. Then i was told about the Star brand yeast, same stuff you're using, and its been great.

I don't drink any more but even when i did I couldn't drink beer. Absolutely hate the taste of beer and it makes me sick. Well the other brewers yeasts would make my root beer taste like beer. The Star champagne yeast is supper clean. I also have two solid recipes and in both of them I don't have any weird tastes from the yeast.

But maybe you could still experiment either with your recipe or with the yeast. Maybe that yeast is doing something weird because of something in the recipe?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
UtahNate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
But maybe you could still experiment either with your recipe or with the yeast. Maybe that yeast is doing something weird because of something in the recipe?
I'm discouraged, but not enough to quit making soda. I'll definitely be playing with the proportions in my recipe. Thanks for the tips.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try carbonating a batch of sugar water with the yeast, then you'll know if it's the yeast or the recipe.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
UtahNate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoodScientist
Try carbonating a batch of sugar water with the yeast, then you'll know if it's the yeast or the recipe.
Good suggestion. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Crazy8
Recipes 

Thats a great idea. I totally forgot about that. I have done used the same method for testing yeast and making sure it was active and still good.

Quick Reply