Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Serving question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
jessebaseball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Serving question

Hi I am enjoying my 2.5 gal corney keg with a barqs root beer bag in box set up. I carbonate the water to 55psi for 2 days and I leave it as is. I don't drop the pressure at all. I'm serving the water in a mug than add the syrup. I disconnect and reconnect the picnic tap to prevent leaking.

My questions are this. When the water is fully carbonated, will it go flat if I drop the psi to abut 15 and bleed of pressure from the keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, it will equilibrate to whatever volume of CO2 is soluble in water at whatever given temperature you have your keg stored at.

It would be the same as opening up a two liter and closing it back up again. Gas will come out of solution to re-pressurize the headspace until it reaches equilibrium. So maybe the first time you vent (depending on headspace), your keg may repressurize itself to 52psi after a while. Then you vent again and it repressurizes to maybe 48psi or whatever will fill the headspace.

It won't stay carbonated at the same level unless it's held at the same pressure/temperature.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply