The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Serving question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
jessebaseball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Serving question

Hi just got my new keg and been practicing using it. It is a 2.5 gal corney with a 5lb co2 that fits in the refrigerator outside. I'm using it to serve water into syrup for sodas. What I do is connect the co2 for about 2 days at about 40 psi than attach my picnic faucet (about 5ft of line) to the keg and shoot water into the mug with syrup. I don't mind the force of the water hitting the mug but I wonder if leaving the faucet connected will cause a co2 leak? The faucet also leaks if I'm not carful

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
jessebaseball
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also would like to know if I should leave the faucet connected or attach only to serve.
Also if there is another faucet that does not leak as much that is avail.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
sicabeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when after you carb, turn the Co2 down to serving psi. Like10psi.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A friend of mine told me at higher pressures her picnic tap leaks a little too. she takes it off when she isn't serving.

I use perlick faucets and they don't leak at 40 psi. Also I have about 15 or 20 feet of 3/16" I.d. hose to reduce the flow. This way my carb pressure and serving pressure are the same!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
jessebaseball
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrew
A friend of mine told me at higher pressures her picnic tap leaks a little too. she takes it off when she isn't serving.

I use perlick faucets and they don't leak at 40 psi. Also I have about 15 or 20 feet of 3/16" I.d. hose to reduce the flow. This way my carb pressure and serving pressure are the same!
Will the perlick faucet work if its not permanently mounted? I will use it loose on the hose like the picnic tap will it serve ok?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

If you leave the picnic tap hooked up at 40PSI, you can indeed wind up squirting your liquid out.
I re filled my CO2 last weekend and since the beer was a little flat from the pressure going down when the last tank went empty, I hooked up the new tank and cranked it up a bit.
I intended to come back in 20 minutes or so and shut the gas off, but it was late and I forgot.
The next day I opened the freezer and saw that I had the picnic tap still on the keg ( it was late and I didn't look ) the freezer was sitting with about 4 1/2 gallons or more of my 5 gallon keg pooled in the bottom of the freezer.
That was an expensive batch of beer and a full bottle of CO2 that was gone.

I would turn the pressure down after the water is carbonated and shut the gas off when not in use.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply