The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Seltzer water and Kegging System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
bharrison
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Seltzer water and Kegging System

I am finally making the leap from bottling beers to using a kegging system and my wife wants to know if we can use the same system for making seltzer water (her beverage of choice). With a dual gauge regulator, can I have one keg devoted to beer and the other to seltzer?

If so, does anyone know a good web resource for making seltzer in this way?

Lastly: would I need a fridge to make seltzer in this way? I can build a cold box in the coolest corner along the stone foundation in cellar for the beer, but someone said that may not be cold enough for seltzer. True?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
JamesClark
Recipes 

I haven't tried it, but I bet it's a piece of cake. Firstly, it's just CO2 and water so the only question is how many volumes to push in there. Second, if you just swap the CO2 line between kegs, you don't need a dual gauge regulator. Once you've got the seltzer the way you like it you can disconnect the CO2 line, at least until it needs a little more to help push it out. Finally, I can't think of any technical reason you'd need a fridge, if you don't like it warm you can add ice, right?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

just keep in mind that temp has a huge impact on how much carbonation (volumes) you'll get into any liquid at a certain pressure.

you'll need more pressure to get the same carbonation in a warmer liquid....

good luck! i'm thinking about doing the same thing for my wife; committing one of my 4 taps for seltzer/club/tonic/whatever I can make that tastes 1/2 way descent.

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Old 09-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I do this for my wife and she loves it. She also likes me to have root beer on tap for her. I just fill a few 1/2 liter PET bottles from the keezer and put them in the fridge upstairs for her to drink at her leisure.

Quick Reply