Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #71
Crazy8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Well the next possible option is to maybe buy from a source online and see if there is a difference in taste. I know it is more expensive at other places outside of ebay, but I would think those that grow for the sake of harvesting, especially in a controlled farm like environment, would likely produce a superior product. Plus Im also a believer in "you get what you pay for". I can say that many have had great success with the recipes I have posted and many have loved how they have turned out. Not sure where that foot taste would be coming from but things like this is where we try new things and experiment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #72
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'll add to this by mentioning that the sassafras I received was so pungent that after opening the packaging and rinsing in the kitchen sink...the whole house smelled (heavenly) strongly of root beer for a week. Also, I've made pain Sarsaparilla soda on my first attempt, so with my roots in particular, there was a night and day difference with the sassafras roots used.

Maybe I just got lucky with my timing though. Looks like we used the same supplier, too.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #73
Masterjuggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, the only difference was I ordered mine unwashed, so I paid $15.

I remember when I was drying my sassafras and de-barking it, it stunk up my house to the point of being a little nauseating (and keep in mind I love the smell of sassafras). In fact my oven still smells a little bit like sassafras, even though it's been a few weeks. The rest of my family was ready to kill me LOL.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #74
Crazy8
Recipes 

Yeah I love the smell of my house after I brew. Its absolutely sweet and wonderful. Its a great thing.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #75
scobysurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My attempt at brewing your recipe Crazy8 with some modifications, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/firs...6/#post5533344

Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #76
BaconZd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post
^Its REALLY good stuff!

My only problem has been hunting down sassafras bark. It's unavialable everywhere including amazon right now, everone's out. I just bought 2lbs of fresh dug/cut sassafras on ebay... Anyone have experience with the fresh root? How much to use?

Thanks!
I have always heard of using a whole piece of root but if you want to be exact you can chop it up and measure a quarter cup that way

Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #77
Masterjuggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally started another batch with the new sassafras I got (half gallon batch). I'm not sure if I made it quite right because I must have boiled it on too high a flame, and by the time I added the sugar, there was only half of the quart that I put in. I just added a quart and a half to bring it back up to a half gallon.

What I'm really posting about is I thought you guys would be interested to know, I tried using a piece of a cotton tee-shirt for the filter instead of cheese cloth, and it worked great. I can see through my root beer after pouring it through the tee-shirt twice. It started filtering more slowly as it collected crap from the brew, but I just used a few pieces of cloth to keep it going.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #78
Masterjuggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I just tasted my latest batch after getting the new sassafras, and it still tastes funny. Slightly better than before, but still feet-y.

What else could be causing this? I can take out or replace some ingredients and try again, but I have no idea what I should start with.

I had someone else taste it, and they think the yeast could be the problem, because they've seen yeast smell like this before. Could that be the problem? I have some normal active dry yeast I can try instead of the champaign yeast.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #79
Crazy8
Recipes 

I dont recall with out going back to look, which Ill admit Im a little lazy to do right now, but are you using the exact recipe I posted up or have you made alterations to it? If you have made changes, could you post what you're working with and I will take a look at see what I can do for you.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #80
Masterjuggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used the exact recipe (a half gallon batch though, so I cut all ingredients in 4) and the directions you posted here.

The only thing I changed from those instructions/recipe is I put the yeast in the bottles instead of the pot, and I used vanilla extract instead of flavoring. I also haven't tried adding salt yet, but I don't think that's the problem.

Quick Reply