Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Crazy8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Yeah, this is what some people call an "addiction". Addicts go to rehab so I find my self as being at some level, though I'm still very much a brewing virgin, a passionate hobbyist with a constant thirst for root beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post
^Its REALLY good stuff!

My only problem has been hunting down sassafras bark. It's unavialable everywhere including amazon right now, everone's out. I just bought 2lbs of fresh dug/cut sassafras on ebay... Anyone have experience with the fresh root? How much to use?

Thanks!
Read thru this. It will depend honestly on the 'strength' of your roots based upon when they are dug up. (We dug before frost only because the ground can be very hard here)..... http://m.chickensintheroad.com/cooki...ssafras-roots/ My Mom says she has 'a pencil per quart' in her head for root beer making, and I know she steeped the roots.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8
OH MY WORD YOU GUYS...You're going to make me cry. I don't even know what to say. To be honest I have heard such comments from people I work with that have had it, and I guess I just don't get it. Perhaps its true that we are our own worst critics. I am glad that it is enjoyed by many though. I just came across this this post and thought to myself "Hmmmm maybe I should submit my recipe for this guy." and as soon as I started reading I was shocked. Saramc, thank you so much for your praises I am glad you like it so much and Klowneyy if you try it I hope it all works out well for you and that you also enjoy it. For those that are interested...This recipe is what I am now calling my "Signature" recipe. It has changed much since I posted those ingredients. Where it stands now does have some things I am keeping secret, at least for now, but here is kind of what it looks like now.

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
1/4 tsp. Salt (try without)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
1 1/2 cp. Brown Sugar (only use light brown sugar)
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring (not extract)
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/4tsp/ gal)

I removed juniper berries because as I really paid attention to the flavors, I was picking up something in the background that I couldn't decide if I liked or not. So I looked over all my ingredients and I thought "Well the only "weird" thing here is maybe the juniper berries." Sure enough once I removed them that odd background flavor was no longer there.

Klowneyy, or anyone else who may be interested, I have a YouTube channel that goes through some root beer brewing stuff, sanitizing, etc. that you might find helpful. Just do a search in YouTube for KD0RVY. Thats a zero not an "O". Hope this helps.
I haven't brewed it yet. I am in the process of moving and have taken a few months off. I am planing to brew either a beer,cider,mead, soda in around August 15th. I am leaning more towards the root beer. I am pretty excited to brew it. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I can. I will make sure to find you on YouTube. Thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
wildozarkwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post
Did you use the actual root for the sassafras, or extract? If extract, how much?

I cant seem to find sassafras bark for sale anywhere that has it in stock... Is it because of the FDA ban? Or is it a seasonal item? I have no idea...
Try the local health food store, I know of a couple that stock it year round.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I got some online (ebay) from seller: washburn71scotty

2lbs (I received about 2.5) set me back $20 shipping included.

Just FYI, I thought I'd share that the recipe he provided for root beer calls for 3 ounces of the root in a recipe that makes 2 quarts, so this is a good starting point. I'm wondering if I need to scale directly or if I can cut back and just boil longer? His recipe calls for a 15 min boil.

I really like crazy8's recipe so I'll probably plug in my sassafras into crazy8's recipe using the guidelines from washburn71scotty for the sassafras.

I'll update after this weekend when I get to brew this! I saved a keg JUST for root beer :-D

sassaras.jpg  

Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Crazy8
Recipes 

Good luck and I hope it all turns out well for you. Happy brewing and let us all know how it went.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
OH MY WORD YOU GUYS...You're going to make me cry. I don't even know what to say. To be honest I have heard such comments from people I work with that have had it, and I guess I just don't get it. Perhaps its true that we are our own worst critics. I am glad that it is enjoyed by many though. I just came across this this post and thought to myself "Hmmmm maybe I should submit my recipe for this guy." and as soon as I started reading I was shocked. Saramc, thank you so much for your praises I am glad you like it so much and Klowneyy if you try it I hope it all works out well for you and that you also enjoy it. For those that are interested...This recipe is what I am now calling my "Signature" recipe. It has changed much since I posted those ingredients. Where it stands now does have some things I am keeping secret, at least for now, but here is kind of what it looks like now.

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
1/4 tsp. Salt (try without)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
1 1/2 cp. Brown Sugar (only use light brown sugar)
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring (not extract)
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/4tsp/ gal)

I removed juniper berries because as I really paid attention to the flavors, I was picking up something in the background that I couldn't decide if I liked or not. So I looked over all my ingredients and I thought "Well the only "weird" thing here is maybe the juniper berries." Sure enough once I removed them that odd background flavor was no longer there.

Klowneyy, or anyone else who may be interested, I have a YouTube channel that goes through some root beer brewing stuff, sanitizing, etc. that you might find helpful. Just do a search in YouTube for KD0RVY. Thats a zero not an "O". Hope this helps.
So, if your not using pure vanilla extract then I hope your vanilla
"flavoring" is not derived as castoreum which essentially is from a beaver's behind. Are you using Torani syrup? Did you notice a difference in taste from not using the pure extract or a bourbon vanilla bean? Just curious as I plan on trying this recipe out.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Crazy8
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
So, if your not using pure vanilla extract then I hope your vanilla
"flavoring" is not derived as castoreum which essentially is from a beaver's behind. Are you using Torani syrup? Did you notice a difference in taste from not using the pure extract or a bourbon vanilla bean? Just curious as I plan on trying this recipe out.
Well I have to say, this is the first I have heard of the beavers behind thing. Ill have to take a look and see if that's what it is. However, if it is that, then that is some delicious beaver behind. I did notice a great improvement but we all have different tastes and the quantity was greatly increased. I like vanilla and that recipe has gone from 2tsp of extract, not much when you consider that's for 2 gallons, to almost 2cps of vanilla flavoring. If you wanted to even do 1/4 or 1/2 of a cup of extract, that can get to be pretty expensive that's why I even considered flavoring and I have not looked back.

I have not used Torani syrup though I may give that a try as per a suggestion I had received about it. Im not sure what a bourbon vanilla bean is, but that may be something else for me to experiment with. I did try using vanilla bean AND extract in my batches and it still was not as vanilla-y as what I was wanting.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Interesting. If 2 cups of the bourbon vanilla extract was used I would expect it to be overpowering, no? I was just going to buy a 16oz bottle of Mccormicks from amazon for 12 bucks which is not too bad of a price. I did get a 24 oz bottle of honey for under 5 bucks. I thought that was going to be the most expensive ingredient. I'll give two gallons a go and let you know.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #20
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...763_11,00.html

Just plain nasty....

Quick Reply