Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Sassafras root beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
WoolyBooger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Default Sassafras root beer

While our walking my property, I stumbled upon a buttload of young sassafras! So I thought why not make root beer? The problem is I've never done it before, or even researched it at all. Does anyone have a good (detailed) recipe using fresh sassafras root?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

I should have added that I have brewed several batches of beer from extract and partial mashing, and I am doing my first all grain this weekend. So I am familiar with brewing, just not root beer.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Roach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never even really though about it; with the whole safrole thing.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredie...91048.htm#ftnS

But then again, there's a reason why it was in rootbeer for such a long time. Though I can say I have NO IDEA what it tastes like on its own. You should let us know!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Yeah, I've read about safrole being slightly carcinogenic in rodents. And I'm sure it would most certainly cause cancer in California (everything causes cancer in California). But for the rest of the world, I honestly don't think that a human could consume enough to do any harm. But then again I drink from Nalgene bottles and microwave my Tupperware containers. So I guess I like to live on the edge.

Please note that I'm not making fun of you personally. Its just that there are so many more common yet deadly things such as cholesterol and heart disease, or just driving a car. I'll be damned if traditional root beer ends up being the thing that takes me out.

Ok, that's my soapbox. I am still looking for a good recipe. So if anybody has one, I'd love to hear it.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stephen Cresswell's book is one of the best books on root beer in my opinion. There's some good sassafras based recipes in there. Most libraries I've browsed have a copy to borrow, too.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
My Book Coming July 15th -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation Pre-Order and receive bookplates here
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoodScientist
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580170528/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thehomsodexp-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS IN=1580170528 is one of the best books on root beer in my opinion. There's some good sassafras based recipes in there. Most libraries I've browsed have a copy to borrow, too.
I have found a lot of recipes on the web. It seems like there is a LOT of variation from one recipe to another. I saw another thread on here with a modified version of Swagger Rootbeer's recipe http://www.herbco.com/t-root-beer.aspx. I might try it. But thanks for the info. I will check my local libraries for the book.

Quick Reply