Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Sassafras flavor / alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
FlyingDutchman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

First of all, thank you to everyone who stayed on topic. I have ordered a bunch of roots, spices, and other stuff from Monterey Bay Spice, including sassafras, so I have a baseline. I have also purchased some of the bottled sassafras tea to see how it compares. It is time to start experimenting to come up with my own brew. I will post the results if I find anything good.

As for the borderline flamers and trollers:

Please Stop. As evidenced by the first two replies, it was apparently necessary to "lecture" (as you want to call it) everyone in order to stay on track. However, I would say ignoring the original purpose of the thread, quoting out of context, not contributing anything new, and trying to cause an arguement is more rude than attempting to keep the thread on track.

I have not tried to pursuade anyone that they should not use sassafras. What you are doing is trying to force your opinion on me and then attempting to insult me to shut me up (similar to what the FDA did when they banned sassafras commercially). It is clear to me that you find this issue contemptible and your compassion (Both used correctly again) for the issue is clouding your judgement and not allowing you to carry on a civil conversation.

Dwarven_Stout, You have repeatedly attempted to hijack this thread. I am warning you now if you continue, I will report you for violation of the message board rules. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/faq.php?...es_regulations

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
As for the borderline flamers and trollers
I think you're thinking of the now-defunct Green Board.
Quote:
It is clear to me that you find this issue contemptible and your compassion (Both used correctly again) for the issue
Ok, since this is apparently what you want to engage on....

Quote:
compassion [kuhm-pash-uhn]  
noun
1. a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

verb (used with object)
2. Archaic . to compassionate.
"Compassion" is a noun that refers to an individual. You're using it as an indirect object of "attempting". It is incorrect to say "your compassion for attempting to prove.". To use your other word properly in a sentence, "Your misuse of 'compassion' is contemptible."

Quote:
Dwarven_Stout, You have repeatedly attempted to hijack this thread.
Uh-oh, hall monitor's gonna get me.

Dude, you started off by hijacking your own thread. Let me sum up your original post: "Hi, I want to make a sassafras root beer but I won't use sassafras. Don't tell me to use sassafras because I won't. STOP TELLING ME TO USE SASSAFRAS!" All that happened before anyone else said anything.

Then you follow with this:
Quote:
I have ordered a bunch of roots, spices, and other stuff from Monterey Bay Spice, including sassafras, so I have a baseline.
, which indicates to me that all your OP drama was unnecessary and distracting to the point that (I think) you were trying to make.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

FlyingDutchman, you are attempting to restrict discussion on a valid topic. Let me handle the moderation.

dwarven stout, there is no need to go on the offense, either.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
FlyingDutchman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well its clear that the original point of my question never sunk in. Is it impossible to discuss the possible alternatives to sassafras without digressing down that same old tired path of "saffrole is not really that bad".

I apologize for goading you on about semantics and what not. It was completely unproductive and only managed to steer this thread away from where I wanted it to go.

Lets try taking a less objectionable approach: I was hoping that, since the FDA has no desire to change their mind on this issue, we could work as a community to try to better reproduce the original flavor of sassafras. We all know that wintergreen is what many producers have chosen to rely on heavily. We also know that this is not really a good alternative. I know this is kind of like making meat flavored tofu, but has anyone tried to experiment with other flavor combinations to try to get a better reproduction of sassafras that does not rely on tons of artificial flavors that are probably less healthy than a little sassafras?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My chemist friend firmly believes that safrole was banned because it's so very easy to make methamphetamines out of it.

I'd ask him to suggest an alternative but he would probably just tell me to use wintergreen leaf.

Have you tried consulting the merck index? a local library may have a copy.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hmmm... interesting thought.
I'm a scoutmaster and we just had a presentation from a State Trooper about signs of meth use/manufacture.
I did see something about isosafrole in the presentation, but I didn't readily make the connection.

Unless your chemist friend works in the flavor industry, (which if that's the case, I'd be glad to hear about any job openings so I can be closer to family. I searched high and low for flavor related jobs before leaving Utah.) he may not be readily familiar with flavoring substitutes.

We're looking for a substitute for the flavor, not necessarily for safrole. I don't believe the safrole itself is the main flavoring component, so while the Merck index may be helpful, it may not be the best place to look.

I'd suggest some cross-refrencing of Fenaroli's Handbook to be a better use of your time. A university with a hearty food science program would likely have a copy. Find what other components contribute to sassafras flavor, then find out what other sources those occur in. Probably easier said than done. I'm sure it's been done in industry, but probably less likely to have been done by the homebrewer.

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #17
FlyingDutchman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've heard of the safrole thing with meth however I'm fresh out of recipes so I can't really say one way or another... I guess that could bump the conspiracy-o-meter up a notch though.

My wife has a chance to post-doc at UC Davis. I have not really wanted to push her that way so far (I'm not a big fan of CA) but I May have to just so I can get in good with the food lab people there. As for now, I'll have to get hold of my old friends at MI State and see what references they have available. They're more of an agricultural school, but they may have something.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
ryangibson77
Recipes 

FlyingDutchman, did you ever experiment with all of those herbs? Can you update us with a description of each? I am on the same quest. Due to a lack of either printed or online information, my next move was to also just order a little of everything and try to describe each one in my own words, then start experimenting with different combinations.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
FlyingDutchman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry life got in the way and I was never able to set up my experiments. Hopefully I will have time after the beginning of the new year... If you end up doing the tests though, I would love to hear your results.

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
ryangibson77
Recipes 

Connecting two related threads:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/best...tracts-117270/

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS