Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Sassafras....can you re-use it and is it safe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
duganderson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sassafras....can you re-use it and is it safe

I'm planning to make a from scratch root beer and am considering using Sassafras.

Can you re-use the root (it's kinda expensive) and if so how many times and how do you store it after use?

Do you think Sassafras is safe? I know there is an FDA ban but is there any good medical thought or research on occasional use in 1 bottle of root beer a day or less amounts?

Thanks, Doug

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
maxx233
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

As far as re-using, I'm not sure. I don't know if I'd go so far as to claim a bottle a day to be 100% OK, but I would certainly argue that a bottle every other day isn't going to hurt. This is based on my own analysis of published research and experiments from the last 60 years available online. It's worth spending the time to analyze yourself if it's of concern, it's actually somewhat interesting I think, and of course I'm not a medical professional so you shouldn't take my own analysis without question.

Here's some links:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf...no/v16je22.htm (WHO information/findings with summary. Examines mice, rats, dogs)
http://potency.berkeley.edu/chempages/SAFROLE.html (lots of raw experiment data based on mice and rats.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply